Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Steering Stabalizer decrease front end wear?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 04:14 PM
Old Skool Soldier is on a distinguished road
Default Steering Stabalizer decrease front end wear?

Hey all, OSS here;

Just tried to get my truck aligned after RC lift (for the second time) and again, they won't align it...They said I need new wheel bearings (I impact torqued them, I'll have to actually torque them) New upper ball joints (Again, might just have to tighten the crown nut, brand new RC bj's) 2 lower BJ's and idler arm. My pass side CJ boot fell off at the diff, so I need to correct that!

I ordered new BJ's from ebay, and a pitman arm+idler arm combo kit, and I have my Rough country steering stabalizer comming in a day or two, will that help me from going through these front end parts again?

-OSS

Old 04-10-2012, 06:45 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

i dont think the stabilizer really has much to do with wear and tear on the front end its more for cushioning. if youre running big offset tires that may contribute to the wear and tear. when i had a k5 on 38s ball joints were a once a year thing and i only drove the truck offroad and locally

Old 04-10-2012, 07:18 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Here's a hint:

When the manual says, "Torque nut/bolt to X ft/lbs", torque said nut/bolt to X ft/lbs. You probably toasted both front hubs/bearings using an impact gun on them. Those torque settings aren't there just to make your life more difficult.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:25 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Yup X 2 on both & a stabilizer is for steering bump, to cushion it. It'll help some front end componants like the pitman & idler a bit, but it's mostly for the wheel & you & to keep the vehicle heading where you aim it.
When I put my rancho in & drove it the 1st time I went "hmmm odd, I don't feel/notice anything" oh wait that's exactly it! I didn't notice the steering bumps as much & it stayed true on course. I'm not sure & you've probably looked it up but I think the bearings are a 180 or 190ft/lb torque.
With all those issues are you seriously wondering why they didn't TRY to align it? I mean I'd thank them for letting me out the door with their on hand knowledge that I have these issues with the vehicle. They could have just as easily aligned it & 2 weeks later you're fubar again - more $ in their pockets.