Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Steering wheel locked up

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 04:23 PM
saralynn518 is on a distinguished road
Question Steering wheel locked up

'97 Chevy Blazer 4WD 6cyl

I am trying to replace my ignition key lock cylinder, so I know I have to take the steering wheel off. The HUGE problem is that the steering wheel is locked in the center position. My ignition cylinder is seized up (that's why I am replacing it), so I am unable to turn the key and adjust it that way. I am unable to turn the wheel 90 degrees in order to get to the screws. May I add that I think star screws should have never been invented. I called the Dealership thinking maybe I could get an answer. Well, I already knew they would likely tell me to bring it in. There has to be a way around this. Fyi, the SIR is disarmed. I have the service manual and have searched around online, but no one seems to have the situation where the tumbler and wheel are locked up. Please help!

Old 12-01-2010, 01:42 PM

Anyone have any ideas? Any way to get the steering wheel unlocked without using the key?

Old 12-01-2010, 01:56 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I just looked and the procedure doesn't list removing the steering wheel. It does involve cutting some stuff with an 1/8" carbide burr though. If I get a chance and no one beats me to it, I'll get the procedure for ya. It does involve the complete removal of the column as a first step though.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
I just looked and the procedure doesn't list removing the steering wheel. It does involve cutting some stuff with an 1/8" carbide burr though. If I get a chance and no one beats me to it, I'll get the procedure for ya. It does involve the complete removal of the column as a first step though.
The Haynes manual I have says to remove it. I can get a carbide burr bit for my dremel tool though...if it's strong enough. Hmmm...cutting stuff is fine, but putting it back together to stay in place is the hard part. Thank you for looking it up for me. Where did you find the info where it says to cut?

Old 12-01-2010, 02:48 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Bah. Should have read the steering column removal process... Step #2 is remove the wheel...

The instructions for removing a non-functioning lock cylinder that I was able to look up in my Mitchel's account don't go over how to turn the steering wheel.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Bah. Should have read the steering column removal process... Step #2 is remove the wheel...

The instructions for removing a non-functioning lock cylinder that I was able to look up in my Mitchel's account don't go over how to turn the steering wheel.

I really appreciate your help though!