Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

sway bar bushings

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 08:13 PM
quik1964 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: sway bar bushings

hey there, I too live in NH (Keene), and have almost the same problem with my 91. Have you checked tranny and or transfer case mounts or bolts? any thing you find out may be some help to me also so if you can keep me informed i would appreciate it. Thanx Paul W

Old 02-16-2009, 04:44 AM
Beginning Member
bikernutgoofy is an unknown quantity at this point

well I live just west of you in Bennington and yes I have checked all the body bolts, support bolts for trans and transfer, checked the exhaust mounting brackets, checked for broken springs or cracked ones as well and found nothing. I am calling my buddy today who runs an alignment shop and have him go for a ride with me and listen to it has I hit a "POT HOLE" and maybe he has run into this before so maybe he won't need to go for a rough ride. I didn't mention this before but when I ordered this back in 1991 I speced out the heaviest springs I could get for trailer towing (but never used this option) and then put the Sport Package on top of it so she rides rough and doesn't have much give on bumps so that compounds the noise. Have you found a way to get rid of the squeaks in the rear window area other then running with the rear window unlatched? thanks

Old 02-18-2009, 02:30 AM

check your sway bar mounts also, i read in another thread that another member had this problem also

Old 02-18-2009, 03:12 AM
Beginning Member

ya I checked those when I replaced the bushings, thanks

Old 02-18-2009, 11:11 AM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Spray a little wd40 on the control arm bushings and see if the noise goes away. Thats where my 87 squeaks from.

Using little wd40 is a lot easier to pin point squeaks than trying to replace random parts until it goes away.

If its not a squeak and more of a metal on metal kinda clang or clunk sound check the bracket that goes from the cat to the tranny mount. That one came loose on my dads 93 and we had hell tracking it down. When in the cab it sounded like the front end, when bouncing on the bed it kinda sounded like it was coming from the rear. After almost 4 months of driving him crazy I found it by luck.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:18 PM
Beginning Member

thanks I will double check that area around the converter

Old 02-21-2009, 01:12 AM

What are the chances that your tires are bottoming out or up? I just bought 4 new tires and have not heard that thump since. As for your squeaky back window try adjusting the latch mech in the gate so you have to push it in just a little harder, i will see if ican find the info how to do it and getback to you with it.

Old 02-21-2009, 04:03 AM
Beginning Member

Tires have not been changed in 4 0r 5 years and never had the noise until about 3 months ago, hasn't gotten any worst just there in the vehicle. As for the rear window I used to be a ASE certified mechanic but moved to a better paying no stress job and let it lapse and I also have a 1978 Pontiac Lemans wagon that has the same set up and it squeaks a bit but nothing like our S-10 Blazer. I have adjusted it may a times from loose to so tight that I thought it would break when slammed shut. I have even put tape to rubber around the latch but the locking mechanism tears it off after 2 or 3 shuts. I have lived with the squeak for 17 years now it is just annoying and if it gets to bad I just push the rear window unlock button and it goes away but I am afraid that some day the glass will break when hitting a good old New Hampshire "POT HOLE".

Old 02-21-2009, 01:55 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Only way to get rid of the rear window squeak is to replace the latch on the window. Even still after a few years it wears a groove back in it and starts over again.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:04 PM
Beginning Member

I have replaced the latch twice already and as you say it comes back and it seems like it get louder.

Quick Reply: sway bar bushings