Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Tcase front output shaft options?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 08:04 AM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

So, I'm reading that the 233c case has a 1.25" chain, up through 97. And the xj 231 case might have a 1" chain that, and the output shaft won't work in mine. Anyone know anything about that?

Old 02-25-2019, 09:38 AM
eshaw is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by cleburne red
So, I'm reading that the 233c case has a 1.25" chain, up through 97. And the xj 231 case might have a 1" chain that, and the output shaft won't work in mine. Anyone know anything about that?
I think what you need can be found in a earlier transfer case, even an s10. Look on the back side of the transfer case and there will be a round tag that is red and silver that is held on by a pin. It should say 231HD. These usually have the wide chain and gear setup in them. I can't remember if they have the fixed yoke or not though.

Old 02-25-2019, 11:23 AM
BF Veteran

I was just reading that earlier. Supposedly first gens had the wide chain.

Depending on the yoke design, that could be an option.

I need to get my case opened up to verify mine does have the wire chain

Old 02-26-2019, 06:00 AM
BF Veteran

So, got the tcase dropped last night. I'll get it cleaned up, and opened up tonight, and know exactly what width chain I have

Old 02-26-2019, 09:07 AM
BF Veteran

Couple quick questions.

The three vacuum line fitting is the tcase switch, for the front axle engagement, right? I've converted to a posi lock setup, so I can do away with it, right? Block it off however?

And the single hose on the top? Is that part of it also, or is it a vent of some sort?

Old 02-26-2019, 02:08 PM

There is a vent tube on top of the case. The other three can be capped. When you have it opened up check to see how many gears are in your planetary set. Some could be had with 6. The stockers were three I believe but they can be added to to make them six gear units. You need to know what you're looking at when adding the gears though as they come with a different helix angle on some of them. They can NOT be mixed.

Last edited by eshaw; 02-26-2019 at 02:11 PM.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:43 PM
BF Veteran

I've read a little on the six gear planetaries, it increases the torque capacity quite a bit, doesn't it?

Old 02-27-2019, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by cleburne red
I've read a little on the six gear planetaries, it increases the torque capacity quite a bit, doesn't it?
Yes, it increases the load carrying capability. The more gears in one the more load it can support. I believe the new units are maxed out at five but I haven't seen any of them yet to know for sure.

Old 02-27-2019, 07:23 PM
BF Veteran

I've been arguing with the c clip on the rear output shaft the last couple days. Tried to get a pair of c clip pliers, but all harbor freight had was snap rings.

After the wife and kid go to bed, I'll get out to the garage and see if the snap ring pliers can do the trick

Old 02-27-2019, 09:34 PM
BF Veteran

So, had to modify the snap rings a bit, but the tcase is open.

Ive got the wide (1.25") chain, so an xj front output won't work. Looks like my options are either a first gen S10 or Blazer, if they're fixed out put, or an early to mid 90s Dakota or ram 1500.

I've got four planetary gears, it appears, also. Not sure if I'll try to add more, I'll have to do my research on that

Also, anyone with a 4wd first gen, y'all do me a favor? Crawl under your trucks, and let me know what the front output is. If it's a ujoint, or what. I'm gonna try to go to pick n pull Saturday to get the shaft

Quick Reply: Tcase front output shaft options?