Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

tie rod ends

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 06:33 PM
Starting Member
vortec bowtie is on a distinguished road
Default tie rod ends

The rubber boot on my tie rods are starting to dry rot and I wanna get them replaced while im still in school so I can do them myself in Autshop. I just need to do the ends and im wondering what a decent brand is for a good price? Is Mevotech any good? I found some for $7 a piece, which is cheaper then the valucraft ones at my local autozone, and i refuse to put valucraft or duralast anything on my truck. So i was wondering if mevotech is any better

Old 05-21-2012, 07:32 PM
Starting Member
vortec bowtie is on a distinguished road

Also, is an alignment necessary after doing tie rod ends?

Old 05-21-2012, 07:44 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

well the answer depends on what you want to do with your ride.
if your planning on keeping it then get decent parts...the only plus to autozone parts is the lifetime warranty...you may get good at swapping the part out though.
as far as the brand you listed i dont know first hand...i would look online for some reviews....personally i use moog parts (just my preference)

and yes..."technically" you are supposed to get an alignment anytime you mess with the steering/suspension.

i will only say that i dont get one maybe as often as i should.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:14 PM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

I would go with raybestos professional grade. They are better than moog since moog started to farm out there work to mexico. I rebuilt my entire front end with raybestos prof grade, it has a lifetime warranty that covers the part and any labor you might have paid to install them.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:43 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by 50lb_cat
I would go with raybestos professional grade. They are better than moog since moog started to farm out there work to mexico. I rebuilt my entire front end with raybestos prof grade, it has a lifetime warranty that covers the part and any labor you might have paid to install them.
Well there is my lesson for the day....didnt know any of that..man.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:53 PM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

Save ya some research time lol. I used to be a huge believer in moog until they went to mexico. I have heard a lot of problems with there tie rods and ball joints and didn't want to risk it. Seems like all we pay for with moog now is the nascar sponsorship lol.