Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 07:09 AM
Starting Member
98blazin is on a distinguished road
Default tire wear

ok, i got an alignement done last fall, because my tires were getting bald on the outside edge.

so i got the alignement done, bought 4 brand new winter tires(snow trakker), and this spring when i removed them i noticed that they started wearing on the outside.

i also bought 4 brand new summer tires(bf goodrich long trail t/a) this spring. i just noticed that these are also wearing on the outside edge !

damn, thats almost 1000$ of tires that im ruinning.

i noticed that when i turn my steering wheel to the max or close to it, the truck want to push foward insted of turn. if there is little rocks on the ground i can hear the tires skip/slide.
also, when its really hot outside, i can hear the tires ''scream'' like if i was doing a smoke show ! looks like the top of the tires go to the outside when turned to the max, putting the weight on the outside part of the tires.

what could be the cause, considereing i had it aligned last fall ?

Old 08-28-2011, 06:18 AM
Starting Member

i need help on this one, control arm bushings maybe ?

Old 08-28-2011, 10:01 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If it doesn't want to turn, you likely have a bound up rear differential that is not allowing the rear tires to spin at different speeds.

During the alignment, the shop should have noted if there were any worn/sloppy suspension and/or steering components.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:10 PM
Starting Member

i think the shop i went to is not that good in alignement.
next time i will go somewhere else.

for the turning/skipping, it looks like its comming from the front because when on slippy surface, rear inside tire does not spin. and screaming tires are the front ones.

i also changed 2 upper balljoint, 4 tie-rods, adjusting sleeves, pitman arm(idler arm was good) and swaybar bushings.
all is left is idler arm, swaybar links, lower balljoints and control arms bushings.(shop guy said those were fine)

but when turning the wheels, should they stay parralel to the ground ? cause mine gets in an angle and i really think thats the cause of my skipping/wear tire problem...

i added a picture to show you what i mean(this is not my truck), when the wheels are straight they are just a little bit like the red lines, but when turning it gets worse, really worse !
inside edge of front tires are like new, but outside edges are about 50% used... and they are bfg longtrail t/a...

Last edited by 98blazin; 08-28-2011 at 01:24 PM. Reason: picture
Old 08-29-2011, 07:06 PM
Starting Member

does control arm bushings can make my tires get into an angle like the previous picture ?
and can i check those bushing for failure ?

Old 08-29-2011, 08:40 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If your tires are out further at the top, the alignment shop is run by incompetent mechanics. It should not have passed an alignment with camber issues such as you have displayed in the picture.

That can be caused by bad control arm bushings, bad ball joints, and/or a bent control arm. Any of which should be the first thing checked prior to doing an alignment.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:18 PM
Starting Member

thanks, i go to another shop and see what they say...

Old 08-29-2011, 09:26 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Go to another shop & then depending on their findings - present the bill to the previous shop if the 2nd shop says it wasn't done properly. Then maybe to the BBB to try to help/protect others from going to the 1st shop.

Just my thoughts.