Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Tires lock up when turning in drive?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 01:02 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Was the caliper hard to get off? Did anything look abnormal when you pulled the rotor?

Could you describe the problem in better detail separating things into sentences? When does it feel like it is binding up? Only when turning in 4wd? Can you put the truck up on jack stands (4 on each corner) and have the same thing happen?

Old 02-06-2010, 01:15 PM
Beginning Member
JustinDesrochers is on a distinguished road

the tires lock up wether or not you are in 4wd, but we do not have access to jack stands. The caliper wasnt really hard to get off and everything seemed to be fine.

Old 02-06-2010, 01:26 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If it does it while turning regardless of 2wd/4wd selection, then you either have a problem internal to the front diff or in the CV axle(s).

Old 02-06-2010, 01:28 PM
Beginning Member

oh i also forgot that when the brakes were removed the cylinder leaked some brake oil. Im pretty sure it leaked before but i dont see why the brakes would make the tires lock when the wheels turnt

yeah but when the truck was jacked up we were turning the tire and could hear a grinding but after we took off the brake assembly it doesnt make a grinding sound anymore

Last edited by swartlkk; 02-21-2010 at 03:35 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the EDIT function to add additional information to your post if another member has yet to reply.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:31 PM
Administrator

But you basically just stated that the brakes looked fine... It doesn't make sense. You say that things locked up, but things aren't adding up here...

Old 02-06-2010, 01:36 PM
Beginning Member

huh? i just said that the cylinder leaked, but other then that they were fine. Im just wondering if the brakes can lock up a truck for some reason only when it turns

Old 02-06-2010, 03:00 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds to me like the front diff is locking up on you for some reason.
Could the actuator that locks the hubs be going bad? Causing the front hubs to lock partially?
The noise that it was making at the left front tire...was it just the backing plate rubbing or brake indicator tab?

Old 02-06-2010, 03:40 PM
88s10Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know if I'm missing something here but what year is it?

Old 02-06-2010, 04:43 PM
Beginning Member

its a 2001 and i dont know what the sound from the left tire is but now i think i broke the brake cylinder so that will have to be replace too.

Old 02-20-2010, 03:06 PM
Beginning Member

k well i still need help with this if anyone can, i took out the driveshaft and it stopped grinding and locking up, so that i figured was a problem with the transfer case but now the truck is making a whinning sound that gets louder when you are going faster. It only seems like its making the nosie when you are de-accelerating though, but the faster you are the louder the noise gets

Quick Reply: Tires lock up when turning in drive?