Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

transfer case crack

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 03:25 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough
Default transfer case crack

ok, i was checking out the underside today and spotted this.

that is the location, roughly

here is the problem

ok, its not leaking from what i can tell....honestly i know nothing about the internals of what is behind that cover....i have no issues to report just this.

should i be concerned?
is there anything there that will leak?

thanks

Old 04-11-2011, 04:20 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That looks like it is the encoder motor. I'm not sure I'd worry about it much.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:40 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

ok, that works for me.
i might throw some jb on it just to forget about it.

thank you for the help.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:47 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you are going to do something with it, pull the bolt and then pull that ear off. Clean up the edges and put the JB Weld only where it broke. Then put the bolt back in and tighten it down. That ear is part of the outside cover. The inside cover is still behind it, holding it on the transfer case.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:25 PM
BF Veteran

you read my mind, that was the plan.....actually i am glad you would do the same.
i tend to "patch" things sometimes.