Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

transfer case..help ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 12:23 AM
Starting Member
97Bravada is on a distinguished road
Default transfer case..help ?

OK well for a while the bravada has had a *click clanking* noise on acceleration.and it used to be only if i really got onto it hard.Well in recent months its gotten so even everyday driveing/accelerating(ex-off a green light) is causing it to make the noise and i have gotten so i take it real easy when accelerating.
Now seeing as me and my dad checked the CV shafts and recently replaced a universal joint in the drive shaft it had to have been something else but stupid us couldnt fathom what else it might be.So today i stopped by a local garage and happened to catch some of the mechanics out side doing a plug change on a 95 blazer(diff lookin motor btw)..and asked them to maybe listen to it and after i got it to make the noise on purpose(hated to do it) two of em told me it was most likely the transfer case.
so onto the question how hard would it be to check the transfer case to see if thats my cause of the mysterious *click clanking* noise?? thanx for the help btw i have full-time 4wd if that makes it any diff from the blazers

Old 04-27-2010, 06:44 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The transfer case in your truck is a dedicated torque split. Its possible that the chain has gotten some slop in it... I'm not sure of any way to check it without tearing it down.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:59 AM
Starting Member
97Bravada is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
The transfer case in your truck is a dedicated torque split. Its possible that the chain has gotten some slop in it... I'm not sure of any way to check it without tearing it down.
oh..well thats good to know lol,hmm so not really a project me and my dad could pull off in our lil redneck garage ?

Old 04-27-2010, 12:21 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see why it wouldn't be, but you might want to get some information specific to the BW4472 transfer case that is in your truck before you start into it.

Here are a one link to get you started:
Transfer Case BW4472 & BW1372 Illustrated Drawing & Parts List

Before you jump in head over heals, I would recommend actually getting it diagnosed to make sure that it definitely is in the case.