Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Transfer Case Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 07:57 PM
Naildriver is on a distinguished road
Default Transfer Case Issue?

Hi all, new member here. I have a 98 Blazer 4WD (Vortec V6, only 115K miles, all original), and have been having issues with 4WD. While looking for answers, I perused the forum here and found out that my issue could most likely be the transfer case slipping and not fully engaging between 2WD and 4WD. But, as I'm not a "car guy", I thought I would detail things.

2 days ago on the way to work (47 mile drive), I noticed a "roaring" in my right front as I exited the interstate and slowed down. My way to describe it (feel free to laugh) is as if a giant was running his thumbnail over a huge zip tie. The Blazer handled fine, steered fine, accelerated and accelerated fine, but I could feel that roar through the floorboards.
After parking at work and finding this forum via Google, I saw some other owners having the same issue, and it was suggested that the transfer case was slipping between 2WD and 4WD. I followed the general consensus and restarted my Blazer, leaving it in park and actuating the button to shift from 2WD to 4 HI. I then decided to count to 10, then shift back to 2WD. No luck. The sound and vibration remained.
After work, I attempted the same fix after double-checking the forum. Still no luck, the awful giant still lurked in the right front while in 2WD. I decided to try 4WD. Voila! No noise, no vibration. With no choice, I drove carefully home in 4HI, hopefully not damaging things too much.
Today, I put her back in 2WD and there was no noise for the whole drive to work...until I got off the interstate again. I got it back into 4HI and made it to work, where I am posting this. My questions are:
- Is this the transfer case? If so, I'd be ever so grateful for some guidance on how to fix this without going to a transmission shop.
-Am I doing damage to the vehicle by driving such a long distance in 4HI? I'm super careful, don't go over 60, and baby it as much as possible.

My most humble thanks in advance for any help and wisdom this forum may provide.

Old 12-24-2017, 06:03 PM
Starting Member
oldeerslayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Well for starters the transfer case is under your seat while the front axle slider is on the right front. Sounds like the sliding gear for 4wd engagement isn't fully releasing. Could be a broken return spring, bent arm, binding cable, or other things.
Check this out:
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f220/4...nt-end-506164/

Old 12-26-2017, 08:36 AM
Naildriver is on a distinguished road

Many thanks for your response, oldeerslayer, as I said, I'm not a car guy, so this is all new to me. Thanks for the awesome link, lots of info there to absorb. I'll do my best. Thank you again.

Originally Posted by oldeerslayer
Well for starters the transfer case is under your seat while the front axle slider is on the right front. Sounds like the sliding gear for 4wd engagement isn't fully releasing. Could be a broken return spring, bent arm, binding cable, or other things.
Check this out:
4x4 Front Differential Operation Explained & Grinding from Front End - S-10 Forum

Old 02-25-2018, 09:34 PM
Groundunit is on a distinguished road

This may not be exactly it but check the solenoid that’s mounted on the firewall. It could be opened a little bit allowing the vacuum to pull the slide in just enough to cause that noise.

It has two vacuum lines. One coming in from the right and one going out towards the battery. I don’t remember which is which but pull one off and put your finger on the end of the hose (don’t get the two switched by accident). You need to do this with the car on. The one that is leading in is the one that has vacuum. Put that one back on and pull off the other, then put your finger over the hole on the solenoid. In 2wd there shouldn’t be any pull on your finger. If there is then that’s your problem. It’s sticking open a bit.

Old 04-17-2018, 01:40 PM
bcg
Starting Member
bcg is on a distinguished road
Default Encoder motor and solenoid measurements

Hello
Similar problem. Attached is picture of encoder connector.
I measured 16 Ohm on the solenoid and these values on encoder motor:
black-red: 1,2 kOhm
black-brown: 0
black orange:0
red-brown: 0
red - orange:0
brown-orange: 18 Ohm

Does this seem right?

Attached Thumbnails Transfer Case Issue?-encoder_connector.png