Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

U Pull it - Complete rear end - tmrw - Xover info

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 02:42 PM
Starting Member
Captain Kirk is on a distinguished road
Default U Pull it - Complete rear end - tmrw - Xover info

Gonna make the 50+ mile each way trip tmrw morning....Looking for a rear end for my 98 Blazer 4x4 4 dr. 98 - 05 are the years that cross over? Vehicles are Blazer; Jimmy; Bravada; S10 Pickup ?? are there any others that I can add to my list?

Old 07-04-2017, 12:06 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

98+ should all work.

Key things to keep an eye out for:

-Make sure the brakes are the same (disc and not drum, etc). I think all 2wd's are drum as well as all the S10/Sonoma's regardless of 2wd/4wd, but I could be mistaken on that

-Will have to stick with 4wd regardless as the track with is completely different on a 2wd

-G codes in the glove box, make sure you get one with the same gear ratio (if you can find one with a G80 which is a locking diff then it's an easy chance to upgrade if you don't already have one in the truck now)

-Stay away from a ZR2 axle, although it'll fit if you find one, it's going to be substantially wider than your old one, so it'll look a little "off"...

Old 07-04-2017, 02:34 PM
ChuckNTruck is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by blazen_red_4x4
98+ should all work.

Key things to keep an eye out for:

-Make sure the brakes are the same (disc and not drum, etc). I think all 2wd's are drum as well as all the S10/Sonoma's regardless of 2wd/4wd, but I could be mistaken on that

-Will have to stick with 4wd regardless as the track with is completely different on a 2wd

-G codes in the glove box, make sure you get one with the same gear ratio (if you can find one with a G80 which is a locking diff then it's an easy chance to upgrade if you don't already have one in the truck now)

-Stay away from a ZR2 axle, although it'll fit if you find one, it's going to be substantially wider than your old one, so it'll look a little "off"...
My 2wd 4.3 5 speed is a 8.625in disc brake rear.

But i completely agree with above. make sure same brakes as yours and make sure it is a 4x4 and the same ratio as yours and you should be good.

Last edited by ChuckNTruck; 07-04-2017 at 08:36 PM.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:28 PM
Starting Member
Captain Kirk is on a distinguished road

8:30 this morning I am ready to head out and the wife says "You know its the 4th; are you sure they're open?" So I gave em a call and I'm glad I listened to her because I woulda been really pissed driving that far for nothing....they were closed. The 4th is one of only 3 days that they are closed.

Blazen...hello...4 wheel only; check; G80...would love to find one with posi...check; brakes...have 4 wheel disc brakes now...no drums...check; ZR2...has higher/wider package...check.

Chuck...hello...gear ratio is why I am looking....after body lift; shackles, torsion tweak and new 31x10.5x15 tires my 3.08 gearing is not where I want to be. Checked into replacing the ring and pinion, but i would be crossing over the carrier break requiring thick or thin replacement gears and its not something i have done b4 and truthfully I dont want to mess with it...way 2 involved and the potential for problems is to great for me....its been all winter she has been down...at this point just want to get her rolling. Oh...I know if I change the rear will have to do same for front.
Back to normal business hrs tmrw and Its my Monday...going in early...work 4 am to Noon and leave from work for the yard...that would give me 6ix hours to do my thing b4 they close at 7pm(If I can find what I want). Thnx for the input/info guys...much appreciated!!