Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Universal Joints - 2005

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 06:47 AM
Beginning Member
Wendover is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Universal Joints - 2005

I had a noisy U-joint at the rear differential so I figured since I have to drop the drive shaft anyways, I'd replace both U-joints. The rear U-joint came off easily enough. It was the inner clamp ring type and had been replaced two years ago. The front U-joint was the original to the vehicle and is giving me some problems. I have been referncing the Hanes Manual for instructions on how to remove the U-joints and it went well for the rear joint.
Basically it says to set the shaft yolk in a bench vise, remove the inner clamps, use a socket slightly larger that the U-joint bearing cap on one side of the yolk and a socket slightly smaller on the other bearing cap. Tighten the vise until the cap pushes out and then push the other cap out in similar fashion. This worked fine for the rear U-joint.
The front U-joint (the one at the transfer case) was original to the vehicle and has plastic injected retainers, no clamps. The manual says to repeat the process above and to tighten the vise until the plastic retainers break.
I have a 6" fixed base, heavy duty vise and had to use a 18" cheater bar. Well the result is the old U-joint is still in place and I sheared the base off of my table vise. I'm planning to pick up an 8" vise today to finish the job but I'm wondering, am I doing it wrong?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:42 AM
coolasice will become famous soon enough

heat the end of the shaft with a propane torch until the plastic melts.. then it should come out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=073tYBBRQqA

Old 08-29-2011, 07:48 AM
Beginning Member
Wendover is an unknown quantity at this point

I forgot that plastic melts with heat. Just thinking inside the box on a Monday morning.

Thanks buddy!