Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Vehicle sways!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 11:54 PM
blazwest is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Vehicle sways!!!!

Well thats some good news, between your great info and Mr Haynes I should be able to get something done there. I think maybe my toughest issue will be replacing the pitman, clearence is slim on 4x4. I do have one last question, what kind of shape wasthe Rag joint in, was there any noticeble wear or would you even be able to tell. Then again yours must have been ok, your problem is solved. With the mileage on this ride I was just going to live with it, but its very annoying and the damm thing runs great.
Thanks again, i hope to get to this in the next couple of weeks.
By the way I checked out your pics, very nice!

Old 01-24-2007, 10:11 AM
DINO55 is an unknown quantity at this point

Blazwest.....
My rag joint was just fine, and yours will be too...
Also this was theabsolute best thing I ever did tomy truck, Just remember to take your time and get the right tools. You won't belive the driving difference, 11 months later, I am still amazed with it.
The Steering box I installed was an A1 Cardone Reman, I ordered it from Murrays Auto Parts and I picked it up the next day. The boxitself willbe set centered so make sure your wheels areas centered as possible when you start the removal process...

Old 01-24-2007, 06:57 PM
blazwest is an unknown quantity at this point

Dino55
Glad to here more good news. I just found the A1 Cardone Reman. 4wd on rockauto for $158. plus core. The 2wd was $142.
Can't wait to get this done now, just have to find some time. Thanks...

Also to metalhead, the swaying is less noticible when going at slower speeds. Refer back a couple of post to dino55, 3 questions and check for slop. We've come to this steering gear issue after determining front end is tight.

Old 02-12-2007, 02:25 AM
jschlip1990 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, Havent worked on it much lately, like you, too cold, but i mentioned it to the chevy dealer shop foreman, and he believes that even though the front end parts are "new", one of them could be binding, either from being too tight when made, (the socket) or just being installed too tight or over torqued! I havent had him take it for a drive yet but plan to...
I dont drive it very often due to how it is.... BUT, I did forget to mention that the steering is pretty stiff either way i turn it, since the work was done! You can almost feel it bind then release, which is causing an "over correction" inadvertantly causing the "sway"! I feel it intown like a drifting, but at highway speeds, its like a chase back and forth! REALLY AGGREVATING!!!!

Old 03-07-2008, 09:57 PM
Starting Member
minijosh is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: DINO55

Blazwest, Here was my cure......
I replaced the WORN OUT P.O.S. STEERING box in it (80,000 mostly hi-way miles) I had to relearn how to drive it afterwords.It's a 1hour job. It now steers almost like a Corvette. I can now let go of the steering wheel 65 mph on the X-way for blocks at a time. Even on thestrong wind day's, i have full control... $195 bucks, and a Lifetime Warrantee at Murrays auto parts.

If your front end is tight and you want to test your steering box for SLOP, simply start your engine up,CENTER your steering wheel, stand outside with the window rolled down, Looking at your front tire, SLOWLY turn your wheel to the left and see how far your wheel went before your tires moved. If you moved your steering wheel more then 1/2 to 1 inch and see no movement from the tires, Your box is bad.

Oh my gosh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why didn't I see this before??? I have had this problem for over 3 years and just found this.