Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

VERY sqeeky steering!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009 | 12:58 PM
|
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation VERY sqeeky steering!!

Well i narrowed down my problem, at least one of them. ANYTIME i move the steering wheel, even just a tiny bit a terrible, EEERRREEEEERRRREEEEE!!!!!! comes from the front end, like really bad, enough to get anyones attention that is near me.

I did buy a grease gun and i will grease everything i can find today, but somehow, i think thats waay to easy of a fix. can anyone help?

brake pads were replaced last week, not brakes!

Old 05-01-2009 | 01:02 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Power steering pump/belt? Only when you're moving?

Old 05-01-2009 | 01:55 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would look at your serpentine belt and tensioner. Also check the level in the PS pump.

Old 05-01-2009 | 04:45 PM
|
BF Veteran

nope, its worse when im not moving, but still can hear it going over bumps, and such, but not nearly as bad as being stopped. tensioner and serph belt are new, did the serph belt with the brakes and it was making this noise with the old belt too, which was still in great shape. already topped up the P.S fluid, it WAS a little low......greased all the nipples i could find, had to go any buy a 90 degree adapter for my gun to get at 2.....and still the sqeak is there.....bad axle maybe?

Old 05-02-2009 | 10:51 AM
|
BF Veteran

ok, power steering pump, id like to check that.....i do have some rather fresh looking oil on my skid plate, nothing to really be alarmed about, just something i noticed while greasing yesterday. also some thhhiiick black oil, not engine oil....but again, not enough to cause alarm....

i take it the power steering pump is driven by the serph belt, as everything else......what i dont know is where exactly it is.....and how i could test it. steering feels fine, not anymore stiffer or looser than it was......but creaks and moans like a ****.

i also bought silicon lube, says it "restores rubber mouldings" and i sprayed all the rubber bushings and such really good......took it to the wash and blasted both sides with the pressure washer.....still problems there....im all out of easy fixs lol

well im 98% sure its the drivers side lower ball joint which has gone "dry" and theres NO grease nipple for it either, gotta love how chevy makes us replace em rather than service.

Last edited by blazinloud; 05-02-2009 at 01:10 PM.