Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Wheel bearing and hub assembly questions!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 08:45 PM
bigrackhunter50 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wheel bearing and hub assembly questions!!!!

I have a '92 s10 blazer 4dr 4wd, i believe i need to replace the driver side wheel bearing (hub assembly same thing???). Is the following link what i need and could anyone explain how to replace them and what i would need to do it, thanks!!

here is the link to partstrain.com where i found this part, is this what i need???
http://www2.partstrain.com/products/...DDOOR-002.html

if link doesn't work sorry, copy and past would work, thanks!!

Old 04-07-2007, 02:07 PM
Default RE: Wheel bearing and hub assembly questions!!!!

help???? anybody there??

Old 04-07-2007, 04:36 PM
filstoy is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't have a 92 but I'll take a stab at it. Some sites show both the older style and the newer style on a 92. If you have the newer style wheel bearing and it is ABS then yes, this 'should' be your part. If it doesn't have ABS or it is the older style than no.
If it is the right part, you have to remove the caliper, rotor and spindle nut and disconnect the ABS connector. Remove the bolts holding the hub on and then remove it from the spindle. You may need a puller to do this which you can rent from Autozone. Replace the seal once you get it off. Installation is the reverse.
Again, I'm not looking at it so make sure yours is this style before you do it or make sure you can return the part.

Old 04-07-2007, 06:07 PM

is there a way for me to check to see if the wheel hub/bearing assembly is my problem? someone suggested jacking it up and seeing if the tire would wobble puling on it from the top and bottom of the tire? is that correct??

Old 04-07-2007, 09:09 PM
filstoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes. Just keep in mind that there are other things that will cause play such as ball joints. You just have to examine it closely. If you are not sure, have someone with a little more experience look at it. There are a lot of things on a 4WD vehicle that can be mistaken for a bad bearing and there's no teacher like experience. Pretty expensive and a lot of work if you're not sure . You should also be able to hear a bad bearing when you drive. It will make a humming or roaring noise. Again, there are other things that will cause this too so inspect it closely.

Old 04-08-2007, 05:14 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

Have a look and see if this is what yours looks like.
https://blazerforum.com/m_56421/tm.htm

Old 04-11-2007, 01:08 AM
elementx440 is an unknown quantity at this point

You probably aren't going to wobble it by hand, you need the weight of the car on it to loosen things up. While driving at a safe speed, veer to the left/right like you're avoiding roadkill or a pothole.... when you veer left, all your weight shifts to the right and if the wheel "growls" louder/loudly then that's the bad bearing, the one with the weight on it.

That link above, https://blazerforum.com/m_56421/tm.htm , is exacltyhow my 98 blazer is. It's really only three bolts and the axle nut... and I never would have done it without a free-rented bearing puller from autozone, to get the thing off the axle. I pounded for hours on it, not a fun job (probably not good for the car either