Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Wheel hub/bearing:Size of the socket used to remove the center nut

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 11:05 AM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road
Default Wheel hub/bearing:Size of the socket used to remove the center nut

Question in preparation for a wheel hub and bearing replacement for a 2003 Blazer 4WD. I just bought a Harbor Freight Tool jumbo kit of 3/4 " sockets. It has a 36 mm socket which is why I bought it. The 1A Auto video says the correct socket is 35mm to remove that large center bolt on the 4WD Blazer. Is my new 36 mm socket too large and going to damage the 35mm nut? Let me know and I'll take them back. Where is the best place to buy a 35 mm socket. Oh, yes! Does it have to be a DEEP socket?

Old 09-19-2015, 11:11 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Search is a wonderful tool:
Originally Posted by swartlkk
Ran out to check the socket I have used on quite a few wheel bearing replacements in the past... Verdict is --->>> 36MM.

2000 Bravada was 36mm. Fit fine with a little slop, not snug. Fit fine on a 96 Blazer (cousin's), 98 S10 (uncle's), 2002 Blazer (friend), as well as a 99 K1500 (friends) when I replaced the wheel bearings on their vehicles. And I know there are a few that I am forgetting.

Regarding past posts, it is possible that I was shooting from the hip without actually checking and used terms like "approximately" or "something like" (I do type out a ridiculous amount of posts helping people).

In the end, if a 35mm socket worked for you, good deal. Just saying that it is not the proper socket for the application and may not work for everyone.

*EDIT*
Just so others can see what I would consider to be acceptable socket slop, I shot this quick video on another GM product having a 36mm axle nut:

Don't mind my big dumb dog panting away in the background...

Measured the nut with my Mitutoyo digital vernier calipers and it measured 35.36mm. Inside of 36mm socket measured 36.53mm. I do not have my machinery's handbook handy, but I would bet that this is the acceptable tolerance for both nut and socket flat to flat.
All the way from 2009.

And yes, it should be a deep socket to ensure that it clears the exposed threads of the CV shaft.

Attached Thumbnails Wheel hub/bearing:Size of the socket used to remove the center nut-th_100_1658.jpg  
Old 09-19-2015, 01:21 PM
Default Correct socket for 4WD front wheel hub nut?

Thanks for the info. In the meantime, I went outside to my Blazer and looked at my new case of 8 sockets from HFT. This time I was armed with my reading glasses! I read the box and see I have 35 mm, 36 mm, and 38 mm! I bought this case in a hurry without my reading glasses as you can tell. Now all I need to do is remove the black plastic hub cap and see if the 36 mm will fit on the nut far enough to grab the nut securely. IOW to see if it is deep enough. I did buy a 1/2" to 3/4" adaptor so my 1/2 breaker bar and 1/2 ratchet will work. Thanks again and have read many of your posts on 4Wheel Drive mechanics. The eight sockets are: 26, 27,29, 30, 32, 35, 36, and 38 mm. all for 39.99, Three adaptors were 5.00.

Old 09-19-2015, 02:22 PM
CWBDDSPC is on a distinguished road

I've used both a 35 mm and a 36 mm. Both were deep well though.

Old 09-22-2015, 12:10 AM

I have found that Advance Auto Parts, Auto Zone, and O'Reilly's all carry the single DEEP 36 mm socket for the center nut in 1/2" drive. They are $19.99 each. This means I can return the HFT 8 piece set in 3/4" drive/ not deep!/ and the 1/2 to 3/4 inch adaptor set. These are $39.99 and 4.99 respectively. Oh, yes, you can get this 36 mm in 6 point or 12 point. I will get the 6 point socket because there would be less chance of rounding the center nut. This is all round a better solution for me.

Old 11-08-2015, 04:27 PM

'Search' is a wonderful tool, when it works! I have little luck in getting it to work.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:04 AM

I just did the front wheel hub replacement job and used the 36 mm DEEP socket in six point, not 12 point, and it worked fine with a large 1/2" breaker bar. I was considering buying a HFT compressor and a air wrench, but glad I didn't.To get one large enough to 'run ' an air wrench would have been expensive. Plus an air wrench and hoses =$$$
If you do this job, be sure to take a look at the 1A Auto video's Part I and Part II.

Old 12-29-2015, 04:57 AM

Many on the forum are now saying that the 35 mm is a snug, ie , perfect fit for the center nut. That would mean less chance of rounding the nut with all the torque you will apply in both removing and replacing the nut. I remind you whether 35 or 36 mm , it still needs to be a DEEP socket and a six point is better than a 12 point socket in regards to the secure fit with no rounding. I would think the tighter fit of the 35 mm socket is going to make it less likely to cause any rounding of the center nut if the only choice that you have is a 12 point in the 35 mm socket.