Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Wheel Thumping noise at low speed

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 03:15 PM
Beginning Member
chevyragtopguy is on a distinguished road
Default Wheel Thumping noise at low speed

Greetings, I just picked up a '99 Blazer LS ZR-2 4x4 and drove it home. Runs great, shifts great, but there is a noticeable thump, almost like a flat spot on a tire that can't be felt thru the steering wheel. Could this be a axle issue or a hub issue? I have never had a 4x4 before so I am needing some advise here.

The only thing I can relate to it is when a wheel bearing goes on a normal front axle.

Can't hardly feel anything when up to speed but when coming into a light or stop sign, it is thumping.

Truck has 162K miles on it, automatic tranny.

Thanks!!

Old 11-07-2015, 08:28 PM
Beginning Member

61 looks and no ideas?

Old 11-07-2015, 09:24 PM
Beginning Member
blazer47 is on a distinguished road

we own 3 blazers. without taking it for a ride I'd bet it's a hub bearing.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:03 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Did you check the tires & wheels to see if there's damage? It could be a damaged tire that has a broken band.

Old 11-09-2015, 06:44 PM
Beginning Member

I looked at the tires and wheels, they are all terrain tires but I did not see anything wrong. Fairly new as a matter of fact. I need to jack each wheel up and spin them though, haven't had a chance yet. It just feels like there's something more than that going on.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:22 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Since it is coming from the front, you could temp swap the left and right wheel and see if the sound continues to rule out it being a tire.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:54 PM
Beginning Member

I think it's coming from the front. Not totally sure. Going out with my buddy at 9pm break to check it out, he's more knowledgeable than I am about these 4x4s.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:29 PM
er0ck273 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by chevyragtopguy
I think it's coming from the front. Not totally sure. Going out with my buddy at 9pm break to check it out, he's more knowledgeable than I am about these 4x4s.
if you find out please let us know, ive been having the same issue on the front passenger side, does it happen when you brake, or just low speeds?

Old 11-09-2015, 08:35 PM
Beginning Member

Well, he thinks it is coming from the rear. Drove it around, we have ruled out CV joints for sure. Still a possibility of something with the ABS he says. He has a scanner, gonna bring it in tomorrow and hook it up, see what it says.

erock273, I think it's always there, but it's really noticeable when you come into a light or SS at low speed. Next thing is I gotta jack each wheel up and spin them to see if there's anything noticeable with each wheel. Maybe I can do that tomorrow before I come into work at 2.30. If it doesn't rain........

Old 11-10-2015, 06:45 AM
er0ck273 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by chevyragtopguy
Well, he thinks it is coming from the rear. Drove it around, we have ruled out CV joints for sure. Still a possibility of something with the ABS he says. He has a scanner, gonna bring it in tomorrow and hook it up, see what it says.

erock273, I think it's always there, but it's really noticeable when you come into a light or SS at low speed. Next thing is I gotta jack each wheel up and spin them to see if there's anything noticeable with each wheel. Maybe I can do that tomorrow before I come into work at 2.30. If it doesn't rain........

Yea I've gotten too frustrated with it ...first I thought it was ball joints....replaced with moog..no difference. Thought it was caliper slide pins....cleaned and greases...nothing. Brake pads are fine , no vibration in there....shocks are brand new delcos...it does it worse when its humid/ wet out and rarely ..very rarely... It makes no noise at all..as you can tell it's driving me nuts haha