Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Whirring sound speed related

Old 04-27-2017, 09:12 PM
PSS-Mag is on a distinguished road
Default Whirring sound speed related

So this week I've dropped $1500 in this truck. Been driving it how I bought it since January. Got transmission fixed (out of limp mode) and AC charged, then went straight from that shop to tire shop and slapped some new rubber and shocks on it. Went about 6 miles down the road and suddenly this whirring sound from passenger side front corner area. Sounds like an electric motor with bad bushings. Maintaining even speed it spins up like a turbo but once it catches up to vehicle speed then it will raise and lower in pitch with vehicle speed. When I pull over and gets below 10mph you hear a click like something disengaging, then it's good for 6-8 miles then spins up again. I have had some trouble with the ABS. It randomly engages at various times while braking. I do have an abs error code for the passenger side front wheel sensor. So that's my knee jerk towards maybe that area? Could it cause that sound?

Old 04-28-2017, 04:18 PM
Rusty Nuts is on a distinguished road

The front wheel bearing assembly includes the hub and speed sensor. The noise is the bearing going bad and the abs code is the sensor. A new bearing assembly will solve both problems. I replaced my passenger side last week. Timken #513124. Driver's side I replaced 2 years ago. They're expensive but worth it. Double check my part # because I don't know what year you have.

The 3 mounting bolts get torqued to 77 ft. lbs. The 36 mm axle nut gets 103 ft. lbs.

Old 04-29-2017, 07:28 AM

Well great glad to find that out and ahh nuts, not what I wanted. Well guess I'll change that tonight after work or tomorrow afternoon if I can find the assembly locally. Thanks rustynuts I'll keep you updated.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:51 PM

I ordered a pair from 1A Auto, fits well, bolted right up and plugged right in. Guess we will see how long they last. Doesn't feel any different to drive, see if it takes care of the problem if I can go a week with out it doing it. It wasn't every day, and was so random it wasn't funny. Yesterday did it all day, today not once. But I think it's a different problem. After I raised the passenger tire, I noticed that the front axle was engaged. When I spun the tire, then the drive shaft turned. I'm wondering if it's not the vacuum switch. Most go out and won't engage at all. Only my luck would I get one that engages the axle randomly... Lol I'd be open to any other ideas. But I'll keep you updated.

https://www.1aauto.com/wheel-bearing...POQaAuy08P8HAQ.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:43 PM

Never updated this thread.

it was the vaccum switch on the transfer case. Replaced for $20ish at 1aAuto.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:12 AM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

Better late then never! Glad you solved the problem and save money. Has it became an issue again since?

Old 01-30-2020, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by DonL
Better late then never! Glad you solved the problem and save money. Has it became an issue again since?
Sorry I just seen this.

No more issues since.
well until yesterday and 4wd didnt want to engage, we got a little snow and I was stuck in my driveway for a few minutes until it finally engaged. Not sure what the problem was, that was the first time that its ever not engaged on first try. Not going to worry about it unless it keeps happening.