Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Yoke Modifying

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 06:36 PM
shadowvnt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Yoke Modifying

Well, I find a yoke that is close to what I need to get my blazer on the road. Everthing matches up except the cutouts for the u-joint cups are too small but not by much.I measured my caps at about 1 1/2" with a tape and then today at the auto parts store the yoke cut out mic'd at 1.127 if I remember right. Do you think I could open up the cut outs a little farther with a Dremmel tool?? Would it be okay? I was also thinking maybe making a "hybrid" u-joint and with smaller caps to fit the yoke. Would this be a better option. I just need to get this thing mobile. It's not going to be seeing any offroading...yet.

Old 03-23-2008, 04:58 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Yoke Modifying

NO! I would never make such a modification with a dremel. You would need to open it up more than 3/8" overall (3/16" per side). You would be very hard pressed to keep the surfaces perpendicular to where the cap rides. I mean you could do it, but I wouldn't.

What does the driveshaft measure? It should have the same measurement as the old yoke, but just measure to make sure you aren't looking for something that really isn't what you had.

Oh and this is another case where this would be MUCH better as an update to your original thread. Even though I have read your previous threads when you posted them, I cannot remember why you are even in this predicament and will not search for your past threads to find out. Try to keep things in one place as it reduces this sort of situation.