Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

zr2 axle on a 4dr?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 08:29 AM
old 5k0ol is on a distinguished road
Default zr2 axle on a 4dr?

I was wondering if zr2 axles(front and rear) can be used on a 4dr?
Right now I'm running spacers and from what I've heard I may have to replace bearings a lot. any info would help.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:00 AM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

It will fit. In my experience there are a few differences. One being the 4dr sway bar is in a different location than the 2dr. Another is the brake line T is different between the two. The last I can't confirm but it's something that has made me think. I'm curious if the pinion angle is different between the two or if it's set up the same. I'm saying this as someone who put a 4dr rear on my 2dr. I'm running without a rear sway bar and I was able to piece the two brake lines together.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:47 AM

I'm very curious because the wider wheel base would be nice. I'm running 3" wheel spacers in the rear to get my 31x10.5s near the edge of my fender flares.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:21 AM
Jamaroon has a spectacular aura aboutJamaroon has a spectacular aura about

The front axle won't gain you any width, they're all the same. The only advantage would be that it would have the matching gears to the rear.

I'm sure it could be made to work, what exactly would be involved I don't know though.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:17 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

This has already been done before but you probably didn't search for it...

Wolfpack had zr2's on his 4 door blaze. Too bad he sold it awhile ago.

Your tires sit out too far for my taste. But here is the thread since I'm awesome. =P Wolfpack ZR2

*NOTES*
From Wolfpack
Notes for anyone interested in the swap:
-8.5/8.6" rear ends are MUCH heavier than the 7.625's
-Steel brake lines on the axle are pretty fragile after 100k+ miles...be careful getting them off haha
-Autozone flare-your-own-brake-line tools suck..buy pre-flared at the dealer and save the trouble
-Oil leaks from the oil cooler make all the bolts and parts up front around the diff super slippery...I suggest pre-cleaning and degreasing
- Learn to weld before swapping so you can do a SOA...I was so sad I couldn't SOA as I was installing the new axle

Last edited by tibby; 04-02-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:27 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tibby
This has already been done before but you probably didn't search for it...

Your tires sit out too far for my taste.
Easy there, killer.

He had 4" backspace on his wheels plus the ZR2 axle width so that pic isn't accurate for stock backspacing.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:15 PM

ok now I'm lost. How are zr2s front axles the same? they have flares stock and the wheels are the same backspace as all 4wds and they are pretty much flush with the flares. Or maybe I'm missing some info.

also I don't get why people complain about repetitive threads.. this is a forum where people should be able to ask questions and get helpful advice who cares if you have to type out an answer. If it wasn't about conversing back and forth then one might as well google it.

Last edited by swartlkk; 04-02-2012 at 08:25 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond and wait for a response. Rules are rules.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:31 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Don't confuse the front axle with the front suspension. Two very different things in a IFS setup.

Also, if you were to help out as much as some people around here, you would soon realize how old it gets when people ask the same question over and over again. There is a wealth of information on this forum. Make new threads for every question you have and you'll soon be ignored by those that can help you most just because you appear too lazy to help yourself.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Don't confuse the front axle with the front suspension. Two very different things in a IFS setup.
ooo, so what parts are different that would make the wheel stance wider?

Old 04-02-2012, 08:47 PM
Jamaroon has a spectacular aura aboutJamaroon has a spectacular aura about

zr2 frame is wider, actual axle is the same, I guess the cv axles will be longer. Control arms are the same.