Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

ZR2 leveling - Air Shocks the path forward?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 10:01 AM
Beginning Member
Nilism is on a distinguished road

I can post something in about four weeks. Parts are on order and I don't have the time to install yet. I can measure in the next couple days probably but no assembly/disassembly

Old 09-02-2018, 12:29 PM
Beginning Member
gman4q2 is on a distinguished road

Well, looks like I will find out before you, my parts are arriving today and I have all next week off to figure it out. I'll update you on what I find/ wind up doing. (Update) Parts just arrived, gotta love Amazon Prime.

Last edited by gman4q2; 09-02-2018 at 12:56 PM.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:17 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by gman4q2
Well, looks like I will find out before you, my parts are arriving today and I have all next week off to figure it out. I'll update you on what I find/ wind up doing. (Update) Parts just arrived, gotta love Amazon Prime.
Sweet! I ordered everything from RockAuto. Parts will be in Thursday I think.

Old 09-04-2018, 07:34 AM
Beginning Member

Yeah, I just had a setback. One side came off fine, the other side one nut is completely rounded off and no way to get it off, and of course its on the inner most bolt so even less access. Ordered a right angle attachment for my Dremel and hopefully will be able to cut it off. should be in on Wednesday. On a happy note it looks like the top mount bolt holes on the shock I took out is the same spread, 2-7/8" as the new shocks, so that's one less problem ill have to figure out. Also, since I have to get one new nut/bolt to replace the one i'm cutting, I will probably get 4 longer bolts and extra nuts so i can mount them like a stud on the shock to make it easier to install them. you'll understand why when you take the old ones out. I just hope the width of the shock with the nozzle isn't too wide to fit.

Old 09-05-2018, 02:26 PM
Beginning Member

Well, one side is in, just waiting for the angle tool to cut off the bolt on the other side, then should be pretty easy after that. Enclosed is a pic of how I prepped them prior to installation.

Used Blue locktite on the bolts to make sure they stay put. Gorilla tape on the tubing to protect it from abrasion and road junk. Pseudo studding the top made it so much easier to install, and if you are working alone its about the only way to re-install them IMHO.

Old 09-05-2018, 04:57 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the update. I have a bunch of left over split loop, so I was going to use that. Right now I am considering doing a bit of research and replacing all the fittings/lines with something more durable. I read somewhere someone had found the right fitting for the shock thread.

Let's see it installed! I just got mine in yesterday but I can't start the install for a few weeks.

Old 09-06-2018, 07:57 AM
Beginning Member

The angle adapter for my dremel showed up, took about 5 minutes to cut off the bolt and another one minute to install the new shock. Waiting for the shock extenders which should be in tomorrow then will be finished.

Drivers side look at top. This is the side I had to cut the inner bolt off of.

And passenger side.

The silver goo you see on the bolts is never-seize, for if I ever have to work on them again

Last edited by gman4q2; 09-06-2018 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Add more
Old 09-06-2018, 10:08 AM
Beginning Member

Shock extenders? Still worried about that inch difference in max length? Also, if you replaced the bolts and nuts on top why not just add another two bolts on the bottom side of the bracket to get your extension?

Any chance you can tell me the stock bolt length? I'll be going shopping today! (o:

Old 09-06-2018, 10:51 AM
Beginning Member

Well, when I went underneath and measured the distance under dead load, i was already at 21", so for twenty bucks I'll have peace of mind. As for the bolt length if I remember correctly it was either 1-3/4" or 2" that I got, I'm pretty sure it was 1-3/4. The stock bolts on mine were two different lengths, I went 1/4" longer than the longer of the two stock bolts. To do what I did you will need (4) bolts, (8) nuts, and (16) washers, 5/16" all. The reason I didn't go the rout of adding to the top is that would put alot of torque on the bolts as well as the mount, since they sit at a slight angle.

Old 09-06-2018, 02:53 PM
Beginning Member

Can you link me what you used for the shock extenders? Valid point on the shock angle.

I took one shock out, did the easy side where the wheel well cuts up... why they didn't design both sides this way I can only imagine!. Parts run time now!.

Quick Reply: ZR2 leveling - Air Shocks the path forward?