Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

anybody have a rough country lift kit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 12:13 AM
matt92 is on a distinguished road
Default anybody have a rough country lift kit?

I was looking at the rough country 2-3' lift for my car.

But i dont want to pay a fortune to get it installed.

So does anybody have one of these? and did you guys install it your selves? or did you have it installed at a shop?

Old 09-26-2010, 09:14 AM
Outsydr is an unknown quantity at this point

Waste of money, it does not change how much lift you get from your tbars before they start eating ball joints and cv's like candy. Do the 1.5" t bar crank and shackles in the back for a fraction of the price.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:05 AM
matt92 is on a distinguished road

I dont have a 4wd. Thats why im looking into a simple suspension lift. But how does a suspension lift eat away at all of those?

Old 09-26-2010, 10:12 AM
Outsydr is an unknown quantity at this point

Well i'll defer half of this to the 2wd guys as I refuse to own anything that is not 4wd unless it can do a 1/4 mi down the track in 9 seconds or less.
As for how does it eat ball joints and cv's in a word ...angle, anything over 1.5" on the factory ifs puts too much angle on cv's and ball joints, however some get lucky and manage a year with no issues but the majority of people are replacing these parts every few months (and yes I know the RC kit comes with upper control arms but it does nothing to correct the lower bj and cv angles)

Old 10-13-2010, 02:51 PM
Beginning Member
High_Speed is on a distinguished road

I actually just installed this kit a couple weekends ago. It took me and two helpers roughly 20 hours work time, but that was because almost every bolt we touch was welded in place by mother nature (rust).

So far, the pros: The truck looks 10 times better! It sits noticably higher. It also rides a lot stiffer and no longer feels like you're bouncing down the road on 4 pogo sticks.

And the cons: It's like we opened up pandoras box! In order to alleviate the pressure off the torsion bars, we let the front suspension sag so much we popped off a cv boot, and the other almost. SO...I went ahead and did two new cv axles. Also, with my factory wheels/tires, there was considerable rubbing when we were done. I cut an abs wire immediately upon backing out of the garage (nothing some good ol' fashioned butt-splices, tape, and redneck engineering couldn't fix, though). Also, I couldn't keep from rubbing the wheels on the new upper a-arms (it needed new a-arms, though as the old ones were almost rusted through, which is why went with the Rough Country kit anyway). SO...then I had to put on new wheels with less backspacing. Got those put on yesterday, and now instead of rubbing on the upper a-arms...now I'm rubbing somewhere else (going to try to figure that out tonight I guess). Oh, and also, for some damn reason when we mounted the brake lines to the new a-arms as the instructions, it was pulling the brake lines so tight I was loosing brake pressure....so we had to just zip-tie them up appropriately...

Anyway, the $429 rough country kit cost me: $400 (new wheels), $200 (new alignment and 4 new camber bolts), $140 (two new cv axle shafts), $1 (tape and splices to fix my abs wire), and I still have some rubbing I can't figure out....

So after putting on the $429 kit, I in turn spent an additional $740 because of the lifting, and I don't know if I'm done yet.

As for CV wear and such....I guess we'll see what happens with time on that. :/