Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

Brake Upgrade on 1997 Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 11:28 PM
Starting Member
pilgrim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brake Upgrade on 1997 Blazer

My daughter's '97 4 dr Blazer is a good vehicle but the brakes STINK. Even with good pads and rotors, you have to stand on them to stop the thing. My '99 Blazer stops shorter with much less pedal effort...I'm aware that Chevy upgraded the brakes with the 1998 model year, but it made a HUGE difference. The '97 needs help...immediately.

Is there a way to upgrade the front brakes on the '97 so they will be more effective? Do later years have larger rotors that might be used, or is there some other way to upgrade?

I'm not worried about the rears because the fronts do most of the braking...but either I'm going to improve these brakes or trade the vehicle.

BTDT experiences especially helpful...thanks.

Old 10-15-2006, 12:32 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Brake Upgrade on 1997 Blazer

I know that one common thing to do with the pickups is a swap to f-body brakes, but I do not know the details on that...

Anyway, I found out just how much the rear brakes actually do when mine were rusted beyond belief. Fixed them up and braking is much, MUCH better than it was before. So don't count out a malfunctioning or worn out rear brake setup causing overall brake performance issues.

Old 10-15-2006, 01:19 AM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not sure about the upgrades, but my 1997 4x4 4-door stops just fine. The rear brakes actually do a good bit of the braking on this vehicle..no not as much as the front brakes but probably around 30-35% of the stopping force is supplied by the rear brakes on a rear- drive sport utility. You should at least make sure the rear brakes are in good shape before you condem the vehicle. Also, is it possible that your vacuum brake booster is failing? I say this because you said
you have to stand on them to stop the thing
By the way, is that a Monza Spyder?.........My first car was a 75 Monza hatch back with a factory 262 4.3 V8. And a couple of years ago I had a 75 Monza Town Coupe with the same 4.3 V8. Most of those spyders had a 305 though....very fun cars!!

Old 10-15-2006, 02:12 AM
Starting Member
pilgrim is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys, good points. And I DO wonder how the brake booster is doing. I can easily re-check the rear brakes, although I inspected them when rotating tires a month or so ago.

And yes, that's a Monza Spyder. The only car I ever bought new - in 1977. I ordered it in Silver with Black interior, 305-V8, 4-speed and Positrac. I also got the intermittent wipers and two-position driver's seat back. That car stayed in my family until about 2002, when I sold it to a gent in Seattle who was a Monza fanatic. I'm convinced that if I could have held onto it longer, it would have been worth $$$, but I just didn't have a place for it. That car was fast, but awfully nose-heavy. You just don't see any of them around any longer.