Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

Double swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2020, 07:35 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road
Default Double swap

I wanted to build off of my originally thread, but it is closed, sorry.

so I'm doing a massive swap,

first I'm putting the zr2 axle under my 99 4 door 4x4. Everything is disc already, so I believe it's a "straight swap".

second I'm putting the 4x4 axle from my 99, under the wifes 02 2wd sonoma. It has front disc/rear drum setup(not happy with drums).

QUESTIONS:

1. Zr2 axle is from a truck, the rear "yoke"(I believe that's what it is, holds the ujoint and driveshaft), is different than my 4x4(will try to find a pic). Can I use the zr2 one, or do I have to use mine?

2. Going from disc/drum, to disc/disc, I've read some people not doing the propotioning valve, and I've read that it is highly recomended to change it. Is the s10 chassis one that doesnt need to be changed?

Zr2 axle

cant find a pic of the 4x4 yoke, but will post when I find one on the net.

Old 08-24-2020, 08:10 PM
Billy1820 is on a distinguished road

Are you talking about the 8 1/2 rear vs the 7 1/2?

Old 08-24-2020, 08:27 PM
BF Veteran

Yup... and also going from a 2wd axle, to a 4x4 axle.

Old 08-24-2020, 08:57 PM
Billy1820 is on a distinguished road

Ok gotcha. The 8.5 rears are longer front to rear, so you’ll need a shorter driveshaft in the truck that the 8.5 is going into.

You may be able to swap over the driveshafts along with the rears, but you’ll need to check if there’s any differences in the 4wd vs 2wd that would prevent that.

Old 08-24-2020, 09:03 PM
BF Veteran

Drive shaft on the 2wd is a 2 piece, as the 4x4 is 1. I wonder if my lift will compensate for length. Might have to look into the sonoma a little more.

off to check the s10 forum

Old 08-27-2020, 08:52 PM
BF Veteran

Sorry I should be a little more clear...

the zr2 pickup driveshaft is a 1 piece, the one on the sonoma with the zq8 package is a 2 pieces.

Old 11-18-2020, 04:17 PM
BF Veteran

Boring update,

I'm slowly picking up pieces, my plan is to gather the rebuild parts needed for the zr2 axles so it's ready to go on asap.

I will then get the parts needed for the 4x4 axle to go onto the sonoma. I need to get the proper dual piston front calipers and spindles to match(I believe). I will also be getting a 4x4 master cylinder to replace the current one(disc/drum setup).

the ebrake cable will need to be replaced on the sonoma as well...

edit: I should say previous owner user the earlier 2nd gen s10 brakes to rebuild the front end of the sonoma aparently...

Old 12-07-2020, 03:09 PM
BF Veteran

Small update...

Got quotes 250 for front and back bearing kits for the zr2 axle and diff... so when my money comes in, I'm going to drop them off and get them rebuilt. Ar that time he will check out the gears and gbomb...

When they go in, I will also be looking at doing the manual cable for the front diff...

Sonoma will be done in the new year...

Old 12-10-2020, 05:37 PM
BF Veteran

Axle and diff dropped off for rebuild. Hopefully its not long before it goes under the blazer.

I found out that the zr2 rear axle has a balancer on the yoke, so going to see about leaving it there, or if it needs to be removed. The blazer does not have one, so not sure on the benefits of having one.

Old 03-02-2021, 07:46 AM
BF Veteran

Well it's been a bit, nothing done from the mechanic. Will have to see what's up with the zr2 parts, aparently just needs to pick up the rebuild kits and do the work. All is paid other then labor he hasn't done...

Weather is starting to warm up here, so will have to do the work myself if he can't get it done in the next month. Need everything done before the trailer comes out of storage!

Quick Reply: Double swap