Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

how to improve ride quality

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 01:51 AM
zachwagner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default how to improve ride quality

Really need some tips on this, my 97 rides horribly.
I just replaced the shocks, and have new tires. I will grease the leaf springs in the near future..........what else can/should I do?

Old 07-12-2006, 02:39 AM
Starting Member
djremix is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: how to improve ride quality

What kind of suspension mods did you do to it for it to ride "horribly? What kind of shocks/tires did you use??? Does it vibrate? bounce? go side to side in the road? describe "horribly"...I don't think greasing the leafs will do anything but worth a shot!

Old 12-11-2006, 08:01 PM
mallardx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: how to improve ride quality

Hey all I've done so far with my 99 is replace the rear shocks with Ranchos. That helped more than expected. But I have found some advice that I intend to follow in the next few months: One, replace black rubber factory bushings with polyurethane ones. This supposedly helps the ride enormously. Upper and lower control arms, on front, front sway bar bushings, and there are also body mount bushings. Most people use a torch to remove old ones, watch your gas tank! Another thing I've heard is that you can tighten down your torsion bars in front, this helps reduce nose dive during cornering/turns.

Has anyone tried rear coils over the shocks, or those mini-coilsthat sit on the leaf springs? My 4x4 rolls hard in and out of turns and stuff flies around the back due to poor suspension. I know it's not a BMW, but any other helpful comments on basic suspension upgrade would be appreciated greatly.

I'll let you know how my next several steps go, as far as ride improvement and ease of task.