Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

Locking rear end.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 04:46 PM
HCCAFan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Locking rear end.

Does anyone know where to find a locker for a 2005 non ZR2 4x4? I'd assume a 2004 or 2003 kit would work on it. Does anyone know for sure?

Old 03-04-2006, 06:39 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Locking rear end.

Sure do. [color=orange]Powertrax.com[color=black] They have drop in "lunchbox" lockers. The powertrax is quieter and a little more $. The lockright is a little noisier (ratcheting sound when off the throttle while turning.) [color=orange]Detroit locker[color=black] is a popular locker.

Depending what you go with, you have to purchase a shim kit for the pinion, shims for locker itself, and same gear paste to check for backlash.

I was considering installing a powertrax but my Blazer is a daily driver. It'll shorten the life of the rear tires manuvering in and out of shopping centers and such. Plus my wife does not like how it pushes the truck forward exiting turns. She test drove a buddys jeep w/ a rear locker installed. Hope that doesn't discourage you.

Old 03-08-2006, 01:41 PM

Thanks man. That powertrax site has a diagram so you can figure out just what the hell you have. That's always usefull! They claim to also have full free flowing differential on dry pavement. Do you know that to not be the case?

Old 03-08-2006, 01:50 PM

I've read write ups on guys who installed it on their jeeps. They notice tire scrub when accerating around a turn.(jeep wranglers have short wheel bases) But they said they can live with that.

Old 03-09-2006, 01:37 AM

I guess I can too. My father spends a lot of time on the beach in the outer banks of NC and recently bought a Subaru Outback. I don't know if you have ever been out there but the summer time sand gets rediculously deep and works even the best of 4x4s. I'm finally home from overseas this year and I damn sure don't want to go out there and get stuck in something an Outback can get through. I figure a locker, 2" of body lift and some 31x10.5 Destination ATs will keep me from embarassing myself. Last Summer we rented a trail blazer to take out there and to say the least it was not pretty.

Old 03-09-2006, 02:16 AM

If the sand is loose enough, it'll bury the Subie. (unless he is bombing around fast llike I learned to.)

Been there man. My aunt has property in Duck, OBX. [color=red] click here and scroll down to my post about my experience in OBX, NC.[color=black]

I've gotten stuck a few times not airing down. My tires are kind of narrow and tall. Kinda crappy in loose sand and stones. I've bottemed out to my axles. (The old Uniroyal factory tires. BOOOOOO!)

I have Destinations now too. (passenger rated 235/75R15 though.) The 31x10.5 would be sweet! I do too much highway driving for them.

Old 03-09-2006, 01:11 PM

I do mostly highway too man but I have been giving the old man **** about buying a Subaru for a while. It's a long story but basically my point was you need a truck for truck things. Like I said he is on Ocracoke all the time and believed his clients/sales people when they said "Oh yeah ,no problems at all on the beach". Now you and I and even he knows that in the summer 100+ degrees and ruts and powder sand all combine to some serious stuff. His Outback is the XT model with a turbo and I also own a turbo car and besides another amount of trash talking on that side, I know that an extremely hot turbo gets just about useless and is dangerous. To me it doesn't all add up right for a man that loves the outdoors, hunting, and pulls a boat occasionally. In the subies defense they have 250 horses and 250 ft/lbs which is more ponies than us and about the same tq, plus they have more clearance. Subaru AWD systems are top notch also so the only things I see getting him stuck are simply bogging down b/c of heat and no low range or bottoming out. The Blazer will bottom out before him though and my dads old supercharged Sonoma got so hot one day out there that it just refused to go even in low range. I would absolutely love to have to tow him off the beach in other words!

Did you ever price those lockers and have an idea of what a mechanic place would charge to install it?