Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

Rear Shock Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 01:18 AM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road
Default Rear Shock Replacement

I am sure this has been covered many times, but how do I replace the rear shocks on a 1998 GMC Jimmy 4x4 SLT? Is it easy or is it a professional-only thing?
Since the oil cooler line incident (check my user profile. "Dorman Oil Cooler lines" I think is the thread.), I don't think I can trust that many people working on my car for a while. I am a computer science major in college (NERD) and I want to start doing my own work on my own truck. I am not comfortable working on the front shocks because of the CV axle and the brake lines (rusted, but not bad), so I will leave the front shocks to someone I know who always does a great job on the front end of this truck since he did all the front end repairs over the past 2 years I've had this truck.

Old 11-01-2009, 02:23 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

The rear shocks are CRAZY easy. if you have an under vehicle mounted spare drop it. lift the rear end. 2 bolts on each one. in addition to a set of sockets/wrenches you may also want a light hammer, PB blaster, and a set of vice grips.
Very simple to do. This was the first no fluid/filter maintenace i did to my vehicle and I am almost completely useless when it comes to mechanics. There are a few how tos even if you search i believe. Fronts aren't all that difficult either.
You can do it man, just peak under there, and put your hands on both bolts. once you find em, you should have the confidence to knock it out.