Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

Rough Ride

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 12:16 AM
tjone9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rough Ride

I just purchased a 4 door 2002 Blazer.Small one not full size.It's in great shape except the rough ride.54m mile's.4.3 litre v6.
When I bounce the front end it bounce's a little on it's on.
I am assuming I need shock's.Could someone suggest the BEST shock's for this vehicle?
Thank's in advance.
TJ

Old 09-16-2005, 09:37 PM
tammikm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Rough Ride

i put monroe sensatrac on mine front and rear

Old 09-21-2005, 01:04 AM

Tammikm,Thank's for the input.Did it help alot?
Peace
TJ

Old 09-23-2005, 05:03 AM
Annekat91 is an unknown quantity at this point

I put Monroe Senastracs on mine, too. It's a nice, smooth ride for the freeway and general driving around town. They aren't what people would use for off-road stuff, though. There's plenty in the forum archives about that. My '91 S10 4X4 had Bilsteins which had been on there forever and were starting to wear out, though it had never been used off-road. The ride was a little stiff and harsh for my kind of driving. So I opted for the smoother ride, and the Blazer seems to me to handle well with these shocks. But I don't have much to compare it to, since I've never driven this type of vehicle before. I also considered Monroe Reflex and Gabriel Max-Force, which are both stiffer yet are said to have a good ride. I guess it really depends on what kind of driving you plan to do.

Old 09-23-2005, 02:14 PM
LoLoS10Blazer87 is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't have shocks

You wanna talk about a rough ride? Try being on the interstate coming home from Slamsession running about 80 mph, hitting a bump, and having the front end bounce so hard it comes off the ground.

THAT'S a rough ride [:@]

Old 09-26-2005, 12:51 AM

Annekat91,Thank's alot for the input.Sound's as though the Sensatrac may be what I am looking for.
Appreciate the help.
Peace
TJ

Old 09-27-2005, 03:09 AM

You're welcome, TJ. The Sensatracs have a "road sensing" feature that makes them stiffen up to handle certain road conditions such as extreme bumpiness, but most of the time are in the less stiff, smoother ride zone. I got lots of advice before deciding. I even talked to someone at Monroe who recommended them over the more expensive Reflex if ride comfort is your main concern. On the other hand, a guy at my local Midas shop, who installs both, said he put the Reflex in his Ford Explorer, likes the ride, and doesn't find them overly stiff. Another guy at an alignment shop said he has the Sensatracs in his 93 Blazer and likes them just fine. In general, people in their 40's and 50's, like me, recommended the Sensatracs and younger people recommended a stiffer shock for "sportier" handling. I hope that doesn't make your decision any more difficult! AK

Old 09-29-2005, 12:56 AM

You have all been great in helping me decide and I appreciate you all very much!!
Peace..........TJ

Old 10-05-2005, 09:52 AM
tammikm is an unknown quantity at this point

sensatracs are great so far!!

Old 10-06-2005, 12:40 AM

One of my rear Sensatracs appears to be squeaking! I thought it was leaf springs or their bushings. Two mechanics now have checked it out and told me it is the left rear shock. I didn't believe the first one, but the one today disconnected the lower bolt on the shock and the noise stopped. He put some grease on it, which so far hasn't helped much. Both guys told me that it shouldn't do that, but the shock still works and it won't hurt anything to drive it that way. It is a little annoying, though I can only hear it when driving with the window open, which I'll be doing less now that summer's over. If it keeps doing it, I guess I could replace it, since it's still under warranty, but what a hassle. Has anyone else had this happen? And what would you do about it? With 2000 miles on the shocks, should I replace the pair? Or just forget it?