Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

Swapping lift kits

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 02:47 PM
joshn444 is on a distinguished road
Default Swapping lift kits

Alright well I want to put a larger lift on my blazer a 5/6". I already have the 2.5" rc lift and from what I have read I cannot remove the kit I have and install another because the front diff was cut. So my question is has anyone gone to one of the larger kits after the 2.5" or is it even possible? Also I don't want to use a body lift since i won't gain any ground clearance

2003 blazer 4dr 4 button 4wd 31s 2.5" rc lift

Old 04-11-2015, 10:10 PM
lazyboyjake is on a distinguished road

Sounds like it's time to plan out a SAS

Old 04-12-2015, 03:26 PM
Jamaroon has a spectacular aura aboutJamaroon has a spectacular aura about

The rough country 6" requires cutting the diff as well, but in different spots and comes with a different bracket. You should be able to still use the same diff I think.

The other lifts don't require cutting the diff and I don't see why you couldn't use your diff with the 2.5" brackets on there as well. I haven't done it either way but that's my interpretation of it.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:59 PM

I'm not looking to make that serious of a rig to do a SAS. Do you know what the difference between the cuts are?

Old 04-13-2015, 09:45 AM
Jamaroon has a spectacular aura aboutJamaroon has a spectacular aura about

rough country has instructions with pictures for both lifts on their website

Old 05-02-2015, 06:56 PM
dharvey4651 is on a distinguished road

Yes you can reuse your differential. If you read though the instructions for both rough country 2.5" and 6" lifts, they both have you cut the same mount off the differential. The 6" lift just has you take some fins off as well as the mount so yes you'd be fine.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:06 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Just an FYI, no amount of lift gives you better ground clearance. The size/height of your tires gives you the ground clearance. All the lift does is allow bigger tires and more suspension travel.

A body lift will also allow you to put bigger tires on and may allow more suspension travel. So depending on how high you want to go, how much work you want to do and how much money you want to spend will determine which way you should go.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:03 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by AJBert
Just an FYI, no amount of lift gives you better ground clearance. The size/height of your tires gives you the ground clearance. All the lift does is allow bigger tires and more suspension travel.

A body lift will also allow you to put bigger tires on and may allow more suspension travel. So depending on how high you want to go, how much work you want to do and how much money you want to spend will determine which way you should go.
Damn axles!

Old 05-05-2015, 04:43 PM
05canjimmy is on a distinguished road

IMO not that i've ever seen anything other then a rc 2.5" with the diff bracket will probably help you with your CV angle, and if the other kit doesn't have upper arms then the rc ones might be a better choice then stock for alignment issues

Old 05-05-2015, 10:03 PM

I'm just looking to get my drive train and the cab out of the danger zone in deeper water along with more suspension flex.

That and a lot of people don't think I'm lifted at all ��������

Last edited by joshn444; 05-05-2015 at 10:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Swapping lift kits