Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

17" wheels with tall tires/2" lift

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 08:47 AM
Beginning Member
goldnugget is on a distinguished road
Default 17" wheels with tall tires/2" lift

I am lifting my 2000 4x4 blazer with the PA 2" kit in a week or so. I have a set of 17" vette wheels that I will use as well. They are 17x8.5 with a 56offset 6.75backspace.

It looks like the tire size that closely matches 31x10.5x15 in height(~30.5) is a 245/70/17. Will that wheel/tire combination already rub? From other threads it sounds like maybe the sway bar? I would prefer 255/70/17 if it doesn't require a ton of shaping. Those are only a .5" taller at ~31.1. I was measuring and looking at clearance with the front wheels turned and with a 235/75/15 I have a lot of room without the body lift. Rears look like there will not be an issue. I've been lurking for a while and have seen a lot of other threads saying each setup is different, but if you've done wheels/tires around that size with a 2" lift just lmk what to expect and give me some advice. Starting a thread to make sure I have not overlooked anything and I will update it with pics as I progress.

Last edited by goldnugget; 06-01-2014 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:40 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Those are basically the same spec rims that I'm running. Mine are off a 2002 Camaro SS. Unless you put spacers on the front you're for sure going to rub the sway bar and the frame when you turn the wheel. There's a half decent chance you'll rub on the back of the front fender when you turn and hit a sharp bump (Ie. going over a curb into a driveway). I'm running bigger tires than you're planning, but I had to trim the back of the front fenders to give myself clearance. I have a 2" PA body lift, 1.5" t-bar crank and a 2" add-a-leaf in the rear.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:05 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks. I'm getting the 255/70/17 tires next week then. What thickness spacer? I'd like to retain the stock hub studs and make sure I still have a hub centric interface as well.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:39 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

I have 1.25" spacers on the front, and I wish I had 1.5" because I still just touch the frame at full lock. Get spacers (some call them adapters) that are hub centric and wheel centric so they mate with the lip on the hub as well as having a lip on the front face to mate with the wheel.

Old 06-14-2014, 07:56 AM
Beginning Member

Lift is in. Blazer looks silly with stock tires now. Also had a little hiccup. One of my wheels has a minor flat spot on the inside...it was probably run into a curb. No yards around here have corvette wheels, but 16" camaro wheels are plentiful and cheap so I may go that route. Getting anxious.

Old 06-14-2014, 10:04 PM
Beginning Member

Picked up a set of 16x8 Camaro wheels for $150 from a guy who had them on his s10. They have 265/70/16 tires on them but they are shot. Threw them on the Blazer to check fitment. Didn't drive on them, but turned lock to lock and the tire rubs the chassis, but it does clear the sway bar(just barely). Looks like I will need about a 1" spacer, but I'll wait till I get new tires on next week and check again.

Old 06-22-2014, 08:20 AM
Beginning Member

I've been tinkering in my free time and I was trying to keep the front wheels under the fenders as much as possible. I noticed I touch the frame way before the sway bar. I noted where the tire was rubbing and notched out 2" in front and behind those rub marks(about 6" total). I cut into the chassis about 1.5" deep and welded it back up. Now I have plenty of clearance on the chassis, but I can turn into the sway bar now just before full lock. I am going to order a .75-1" adapter from motorsport-tech for the front and 2" adapters to bring the rears out to match the front track depending on if I pull the trigger on the zr2 rear/diff which would push the rear out 2" without the spacers. I'll figure that out next week. I haven't hit the back of the front fenders while turning yet, but its only about a 1/2" away so I know I will when I hit something harder. I'll get to that soon too.