Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

factory wheel clearcoat strip

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 10:54 PM
psmurfy is on a distinguished road
Default factory wheel clearcoat strip

The factory wheels on my Jimmy were looking pretty faded, and the clearcoat was chipped and yellowed pretty bad so I stripped the clearcoat with paint stripper. This was done while on the vehicle on a 90 degree day. Do it in the shade and I did 2 wheels at a time. By the time I got the second wheel coated the first one was ready to clean. WEAR RUBBER chemical resistant gloves!!! I applied the stripper with a 2" paintbrush, put on a good heavy coat and don't mess with it....just paint it on thick and leave it be. If it dries before you get back to it wet it up with another coat and wash it off with paper towels saturated with mineral spirits, then the garden hose. I did this in the gravel area out by my carport....I wouldn't want the mess on a concrete driveway. It only took a second "touch up coat" with the stripper and I was done. Took about 2 hours per pair of wheels. The next day I masked them off and painted the painted areas with a duplicolor factory GM graphite grey. The masking and cutting with a razor blade is something I don't want to do again any time soon....about an hour per wheel. The factory finish is machined, so it's not going to be a high gloss polished finish like aftermarket wheels, but they look 100% better than the yellow chipped clearcoat. I finished up with some Mothers aluiminum polish and they look pretty good.

Attached Thumbnails factory wheel clearcoat strip-1.jpg   factory wheel clearcoat strip-2.jpg  
Old 08-07-2014, 11:40 PM
Starting Member
Blazer_4x4 is on a distinguished road

Nice job, looks great

Old 08-08-2014, 07:26 AM
Forist72 is on a distinguished road

Very clean looking it worked a lot better for you than it did for me. I used the spray cans clear coat remover next time ill try the brush on like you did I like the the way it turned out for you very nice.