Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Help!! Wheels hitting on brake calipers??

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 01:02 PM
Beginning Member
duvall45 is on a distinguished road
Default Help!! Wheels hitting on brake calipers??

I am trying to install Camaro rims on my 98 4x4 Blazer 4dr. The problem I am having is the back of the wheels are wider (7.5") then the stock (6.5") and they are hitting on the brake calipers. What size wheel spacers would I need? I want to keep it as close as I can because the rims are 5.5" offset with 10" wide tires and already stick out. Or could I grind a little off the calipers so I could go with a thinner spacer? I have included photos with the parts that are hitting highlighted. Thank for the help.

Attached Thumbnails Help!! Wheels hitting on brake calipers??-wheel-brakes.jpg   Help!! Wheels hitting on brake calipers??-wheel-hub.jpg  
Old 08-23-2009, 03:27 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If it is only hitting in those two small areas, I would grind a bit off of the caliper bracket to clearance it more.

If you knew someone with a lathe big enough to mount the wheel in, you could machine a relief into the rim wheel mounting surface.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:39 PM
BusaJoe is on a distinguished road

Looks like all you need is the thinnest wheel spacer IMO.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:56 PM
Beginning Member

Those two points stick out the most the rest is about flush. As far as I could tell they hang out about 1/4". I was thinking of 9/32 or 5/16 wheel spacers. Just not sure if 1/32 or 1/16 would be enough clearance. I think I could get away with some grinding in the caliper it is very meaty at that point.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:45 AM
Beginning Member
matthew.chapman1 is on a distinguished road

Mine was doing the exact same thing on my 2000 LS 2dr, I put a 1/4" spacer and i dont have any contact or issues.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:59 PM
Banned for childishly attempting to delete all his posts
jsmz is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah i would just grind that off with an angle grinder.

grind= free

spacer= more $$$

driving a blazer im sure there are more important things to spend that money on besides spacers.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:16 PM
Beginning Member
matthew.chapman1 is on a distinguished road

The spacers i bought were 5 dollars a piece ($20 = Totally worth it)

Grinding on Brakes= Not safe

Also= LOTS more $$$$ when you mess up or sh*t tons of $$$$ cause a malfunction happens and run into the person you are driving behind...

Old 08-26-2009, 03:58 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Griding a bit of metal on that area will not harm anything... That caliper is not a moving part and IMO would be quite safe, I wouldn't take off any more than you need too though.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:42 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by matthew.chapman1
The spacers i bought were 5 dollars a piece ($20 = Totally worth it)
Where did you find them for $5?? Best price on Ebay is about $18 for a pair!!

Old 08-27-2009, 11:01 AM
Banned for childishly attempting to delete all his posts
jsmz is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry i would rather grind some caliper than buy cheap, poor quality spacers.

i have a set of truly hub centric spacers on the back. they ran me about $60 and that was cheap.

true hub centric spacers are the only way to go if your going to use a spacer.

Last edited by jsmz; 08-27-2009 at 11:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Help!! Wheels hitting on brake calipers??