Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

How much is speedometer off with 31" tires?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 08:19 PM
Beginning Member
uncle larrys oranges is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How much is speedometer off with 31" tires?

Im not looking for how I can fix the spedo difference with the tires. Basically Im just looking for other people on here who put 31" tires on and if they know the difference between what the speedometer says and what theyre actually doing. I did search and didnt find anything other than how to correct the problem so I apologize if this has allready been brought up. And its a 2002 chevy Blazer 4x4. Old tires were 235/75/R15 and the new ones are 31/15/10.5

Old 02-19-2010, 08:32 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

You'll have to convert inches to mm but you can use it. Also, physically measure the 31's. Some tires are actually shorter than what they advertise.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:28 PM
Beginning Member

thanks a lot. worked perfectly

Old 02-19-2010, 10:24 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

I dealer can fix that for you or anyone with a Tech II or equivalent scanner. Since 31s where a stock size for the ZR2's.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:45 PM
Starting Member
MrJP is an unknown quantity at this point

By my calculations, speed would be understated by about 13%. But if someone has realworld experience, I would depend on their advice over my calculations.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:47 PM
Starting Member
Blazn1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm off 8 with 32's

Old 02-19-2010, 10:59 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Blazn1
I'm off 8 with 32's
It depends on how fast you are going so it would have to be a percent and 8% seems a little low.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:13 PM
Beginning Member

well I used to just cruise with the traffic but today I got pulled over for doing 50 in a 35. I told the officer about my speedo problem so he only wrote me a ticket for a faulty speedometer but I think im just going to drive along side someone I know and have them go exactly 35 so I know for sure.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:30 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

It only really seems to be noticeable (for me anyway) above 60. Of course my sidewall is only 5% taller than stock (235/75's instead of stock 235/70's) so when I'm going 60 on the speedometer I'm actually going 63 and change. The more you deviate from your stock size the more drastic the difference will be. I don't think it's possible your speedometer showed 35 and you were actually doing 50, that's quite a gap!

Old 02-20-2010, 02:04 AM
leeclark is an unknown quantity at this point

my blazer had 215/70/15s and i'm now with 31x10.50x15 and according to the website mine is off 14.1% slow 8 mph at 60mph. when i'm driving around the city i do the posted speed limit accroding to my odometer and havnt got pulled over knock on wood lol. guess i should slow down a little bit.

Quick Reply: How much is speedometer off with 31" tires?