Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Keeping 20s clean

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 11:06 AM
98forrest is on a distinguished road
Default Keeping 20s clean

So I am Building my son a 98 Blazer, short list is drop springs in the back with a set of drop spindles up front. I bought him a set of 20s which are a pretty open design with lots of cracks and hiding places for brake dust. Does any one have any experience with brake dust covers? Which work good, which are junk, and where is the best place to get them?

Old 08-15-2010, 09:07 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by 98forrest
So I am Building my son a 98 Blazer, short list is drop springs in the back with a set of drop spindles up front. I bought him a set of 20s which are a pretty open design with lots of cracks and hiding places for brake dust. Does any one have any experience with brake dust covers? Which work good, which are junk, and where is the best place to get them?

talk about a nice Dad!

don't waste your time on dust covers, for a few reasons,

1) they restrict air flow-BIG TIME!-'causing unsafe heat build up.
2) they look like crap.

seriously, if you wanna roll big, then he's gonna have to learn to detail his ride often, and pay more attention to cleaning the hoops.

a few questions about the wheels.

1) are they full polish, clear coated, or chrome? (makes a difference in how you care for them),
2) how is the design? tight corners (alot of spokes) or wide open?

throw up a pic of the wheels (if you have one available).

Old 08-15-2010, 06:47 PM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

I know ceramic brake pads help in terms of keeping brake dust away but like old skool luvr said it also depends what type of rims they are. I got polished gunmetal rims and they are a breeze to clean I just spray on some cleaner soak it down with the hose and wipe off the excess with a microfiber and they look like brand new.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:43 AM
98forrest is on a distinguished road

Here are some pics, the one that shows the rims the best is also the oldest one. I don't have a pic of the most recent upgrades to the truck (fog lights, Taillights, parking lights, etc.), but you can see the rims really well. I have heard of ceramics before because I was thinking about putting them on my 69 RS conv. Any brand recommendations as far as they go? I have also started "collecting" cross drilled rotors to improve the braking since it will be his first vehicle and I remember how well I paid attention @ 16.

Keeping 20s clean-0208001046.jpg

Keeping 20s clean-0727001839.jpg

Old 08-18-2010, 08:38 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

those rims are easy to maintain, since there is so little "bling" on them. and since they're chrome, they'll be even easier to take care of.

just be sure to use high quality products (cleaners, microfiber cloths, polishes, etc).

most important of all.................always make sure wheels are COLD before cleaning. some of those cleaners (no matter how top shelf they are) can destroy your rims if they're hot from driving.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:26 AM
Starting Member
g_mike is on a distinguished road

those look easy to clean...these have a lot of ins and outs... best thing i found to clean chrome rims is orange spray rim cleaner, spray on hose off. it gets braks dust off very easily. but dont use it on polished rims or they will turn foggy and you will have to polish them all over...

Old 09-19-2010, 01:04 PM
BF Veteran
CraigSnedeker will become famous soon enoughCraigSnedeker will become famous soon enough

those wheels look sick

Old 09-19-2010, 01:13 PM
Starting Member
g_mike is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by CraigSnedeker
those wheels look sick
which ones?

98 forrest - looks like you have a lot of project cars on the go.
camaro, s10, i see another chev truck in the background and now this blazer.
is the blazer 4x4? most 4drs were i think.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:45 PM
BF Guru

Originally Posted by g_mike
is the blazer 4x4? most 4drs were i think.
that could be said for 2 doors as well.

in fact, it's pretty rare to find a 2WD Blazer/Jimmy period.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:54 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

I think armor all makes a product that is a protecting coat on your rims that dirt/mud/brake dust can't stick to