Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Max Spare Tire Size -Stock Under Truck Location

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 08:42 PM
Starting Member
Doubledown is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by N. Jensen
I got rid of my spare underneath, and purchased a 2 door spare tire carrier.

I would like to utilize that space where the spare was, underneath the cargo hold. Maybe a hidden compartment? Or just a non hidden one.
I am keeping an eye out for the rear tire carrier on craigslist and at pick and pull but maybe end up fabbing my own for how much they want for them when/if they come in.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:13 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Doubledown
I am keeping an eye out for the rear tire carrier on craigslist and at pick and pull but maybe end up fabbing my own for how much they want for them when/if they come in.
I picked up a rear tire carrier for like $30-$40 at pick n pull, it wasn't very much

Old 04-26-2019, 08:10 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Just wanted to post an update on this after giving it a shot after the BL and shackle lift. I was unable to fit my 31" in the stock location with it fuel of air. Mind you it is a brand new, full tread tire that is filled. It will likely go if you aired it down and squished it in there but even then it will be very very close to the rear axle. Close enough to not want it there if doing any sort of off-roading. I put the factory wheel back under there to get around town and will take my hitch mount tire rack when I go off road and take the full size spare then.
That's how I felt about having the larger spare underneath as well. It fit, but just barely. I ended up putting a 2-door spare tire carrier on the back. I liked that way better.

Old 04-26-2019, 09:36 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by El_Beautor
That's how I felt about having the larger spare underneath as well. It fit, but just barely. I ended up putting a 2-door spare tire carrier on the back. I liked that way better.
How was the process of mounting that to the 4 door, specially the support mount to the tailgate section? are all the parts transferable from the donor or at their supports that you need to fab up for the back of the bolt holes or anything? Appreciate the input.

Old 04-26-2019, 11:31 AM
N. Jensen is on a distinguished road

How was the process of mounting that to the 4 door, specially the support mount to the tailgate section? are all the parts transferable from the donor or at their supports that you need to fab up for the back of the bolt holes or anything? Appreciate the input.
Some links to scope out;

https://blazerforum.com/forum/articl...-thread-48921/

https://blazerforum.com/forum/paint-...results-95769/

https://blazerforum.com/forum/paint-...menions-98616/

Old 04-26-2019, 02:29 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

The links posted by N. Jensen are a great resource. I put my writeup in my Blazer build thread. Some people added reinforcements to the body to bolt to, but I didn't do any special reinforcing on mine other than using 2 fender washers and a normal washer on the bolts holding the arm to the body. The fender washers are quite wide and flexible, so they mold to the curve of the fender better than a normal washer would, and then the normal washer provides a good surface for the nut to tighten down onto. I also used a bi-metal hole saw on the inside to cut access holes in the inner body to be able to reach the fender skin and tighten the bolts.

Old 04-26-2019, 07:03 PM
Starting Member

Well seems like a case off "in sight, in mind." I started looking around on the pick and pull website and there were two, (2) doors that looked to have the fender flares but of course no shots of the back of the truck to confirm before driving out to the locations. This is what they give ya of course, everything but what I needed to see:

They won't check it out for you if you call either. I opted for the closest location which was about 40 minutes from me.. it was a zr2 but the swing arm was gone, just the mounting plate for the latch was on the tailgate. I took that off and checked at the counter....figure this one out, they wanted $15 for the mounting plate on its own when they said $20 for the entire carrier with the plate. Needless to say they got to keep that one.
Another hour drive one way from there to the other pick and pull. and score! ZR2 with it all there.

Bad news, didn't know they were huge torx bit on the factory bolts and my little port-o-tool bag only has small torx. Luckily I was able to get them moving with a hammered in allen socket but 2 were not coming out... so this happened.

And now its back home with me for $23.75

Now I am going to look into making contoured bracing plates to match the lines on the mounts for the inside of the fenders.

Last edited by Doubledown; 04-26-2019 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:13 PM
Starting Member

Side note the fender flares were destroyed on both trucks unfortunately.

Old 04-26-2019, 09:28 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Man, those torx were a surprise to me, as well. I had to leave pick n pull, drive to autozone, and go back to pull it when I got mine

Old 04-26-2019, 09:33 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by cleburne red
Man, those torx were a surprise to me, as well. I had to leave pick n pull, drive to autozone, and go back to pull it when I got mine
I was seriously thinking about it but very oddly, while I was messing with the allen heads on the bolt some creepy guy walk up out of no where, in an otherwise empty lot, stops and looks at me like "what are you doing here" and then goes into the driver seat of the blazer I was pulling from and start poking around.
Figured my luck would be I would leave and come back and the arm would be off, and then in the store lobby with a $400 price tag on it so I just pushed it backward till those bolts pulled through and off I went.

Quick Reply: Max Spare Tire Size -Stock Under Truck Location