Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

must all 4 tires be replaced at same time?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 06:47 PM
Starting Member
Emmett_Dave is on a distinguished road
Default must all 4 tires be replaced at same time?

Hi,
My brother has a Blazer (2000 model year I think) with 4 tires with lots of tread left on them, but one got the side wall ruined.

He has been told he must buy 4 new tires rather than just replace the one, or else his transfer case will be ruined. Is this true? I understand this varies between different vehicle brands and models, and he cannot afford to do this if it is not strictly necessary.

It is an "automatic" type 4WD (i.e., you don't have to manually lock the front hubs).

Any help would be much appreciated!

Dave

Old 06-15-2019, 08:15 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

I've done it in 2s when I had a 2wd. But I always try to change all 4. I dont trust all season, so its summers and winters. I've had different brands and different tires on, and it doesnt handle the same. Either match the 2 fronts and 2 backs, or match all 4 I say.

Old 06-15-2019, 08:16 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

Size needs to match.

Old 06-16-2019, 08:37 AM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

As long as the size matches, I think it'll be fine. Both front and rear diffs are open, so I seriously doubt the fraction of an inch difference in size from wear will be enough to damage anything

Old 06-16-2019, 08:50 AM
eshaw is on a distinguished road

I try to match at least two fronts or rears like stated. From what I've read the AWD models have to have matching but that shouldn't concern you since it's a Blazer unless it had a conversion done which I doubt.

Old 06-16-2019, 12:54 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

As mentioned, just match the size.

If getting a different brand, try to put the new mismatch on the front and keep the rears matching if it has an auto locking G80 rear end. If there's a slight tire size difference it can cause the locker to engage in slippery conditions when you don't want it to (taking off in the rain or snow, etc.). I ran into this with an old work truck, a Tahoe, and it was really throwing me for a loop for a while until I figured out what was going on lol. The rear end would lock up under hard acceleration when one tire would slip and the locker would engage, the truck would pull to one side like a tire was suddenly flat and would continue to do so until I either stopped and backed up for a foot or made a sharp right turn to free up the locked rear end.

Old 06-18-2019, 11:10 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by blazen_red_4x4
As mentioned, just match the size.
This!

Old 06-22-2019, 11:03 AM
Strangerock is on a distinguished road

If you have the 4 button system with the auto feature , different size tires will be detected as wheel slippage and the T-Case will try to compensate for this and the clutches will wear out prematurely..... 3 button system would not be a big deal .

Old 06-22-2019, 01:22 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Strangerock
If you have the 4 button system with the auto feature , different size tires will be detected as wheel slippage and the T-Case will try to compensate for this and the clutches will wear out prematurely..... 3 button system would not be a big deal .
This would only be the case when using the Auto4wd mode. In 2HI the viscous clutch is disengaged. In 4HI, it is fully applied (no slip).