Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Painting the stock rims

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 11:52 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about
Default Painting the stock rims

So its commonplace for people here to paint stuff black... I was thinking with my red blazer that I could paint my rims black and then the teardrops red to match the vehicle or doing the inverse of that... any input would be great... I am currently sizing this and a few other projects up to set up a budget and begin to purchase supplies....
thanks

Old 08-29-2009, 01:04 AM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road

I painted my swirls black. Its fairly simple, but you have to be methodical about it when you are using rattle cans.
-Clean the rims with rim/tire cleaner (Simple Green works wonders) then dry them.
-Sand the area to be painted with medium then fine grit. You don't have to go all the way down to the metal.
-Mask it off good, paint them carefully with primer. Let dry, then you can wet sand the primer.
-When spraying the color coat, first a light coat, then a fully covering allowing no more than a couple minutes between. Spray paint dries fast.
-I clear-coated mine with "high performance wheel coating" that you can buy at most autoparts stores, so you want a base coat that will accept a clear coat. (Fusion, regular krylon, or colormatch spray paint is not a good idea)
-Unmask before its fully dry, then let dry overnight in climate-controlled area just to be safe.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:48 PM
BF Veteran
CraigSnedeker will become famous soon enoughCraigSnedeker will become famous soon enough

I wanna do this also. I'll let you know when I find a way.