Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Quick question about buying a spare tire

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 12:12 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Quick question about buying a spare tire

You should be fine to put your wheel bolted straight to the axle.

I have never really liked spacers. One big reason for disliking them for me is that they are VERY rarely hub-centric like the factory setups are. The lugs in a factory setup are there to hold the rim to the axle flange. The shoulder or hub in the center of the axle flange is designed to carry the weight. When you move to a lug centric design, like so many aftermarket rims and just about all of the spacers I have ever seen, you are now putting all of the load carrying onto the lug nuts. This puts more stress on the lugs and can eventually lead to failure.

Many people have great luck with spacers, but the possibility of failure still exists and is a greater possibility than the factory setup.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:52 PM
Starting Member
bammontana has a little shameless behavior in the past
Default RE: Quick question about buying a spare tire

Yea I agree, I was always nervious about the adapters, and this happening sure did bring that up a notch. For the time being, I am gonna throw these tires on my stock wheels, and put the new tire I got on the stock spare rim.

Pitty, they are nice rims.. but I am not gonna spend 89 each on them for the correct size at this moment.