Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Refinishing aluminum wheels!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 08:57 AM
Beginning Member
BAM1369 is on a distinguished road
Default Refinishing aluminum wheels!

Ok guys I know you may think I’m crazy for going through this much work but here you go.

Supply list

Bar Keepers Friend
Duro Aluminum Jelly
Air Craft Peeler
Scrub brush
Tooth brush
Old rag
Fine steel wool
Buffing wheel (& adapter for drill)
Mother’s aluminum polish
Scratch pad
Rubber gloves
Clear coat spray paint

I bought these wheels from someone on craigslist. They weren’t in as good shape as he said they are but for $150 I bought them anyways. I really like the style/price of there American racing rims. I currently have the AR Outlaw 1’s on the Monty. These are the AR23’s pretty much the same think but the AR23’s have slots cut in them.

To get started I sprayed a generous amount of Air Craft Peeler all over the wheel and let is sit on there for about 5min. This stuff is very strong, try not to breathe in too much. When you spray this on you will see it bubble and eat at the clear coat, you need all of the clear coat off to get to the oxidization/white rust.

After that sits wash it off with water and the scrub brush.

Dry it all off and spread the Aluminum Jelly with the tooth brush on the badly corroded spots. You need to scrub just a little bit with the tooth brush to get the stuff working. Let that sit for about 5min and rinse of with water.

Next take the Bar keepers friend and the rag, steel wool or Scratch pad and get them wet put a lot of bar keepers on it and scrub the hell out of it till your finger fall off. I mainly used just the rag, but for the really bad spots I had to use the wool. At the end when it came time to buff in all out, the spots where I used the wool didn’t come out as shiny.

Rinse off all of the Bar Keepers Friend and dry it off. Than the aluminum will look kind of dull so its time to buff it all out theirs many different kinds of aluminum polish you can use I just used one of the popular ones, Mothers. Some buffer wheels come with a drill attachment if not make sure you buy one. Also get a buffer wheel that’s about 1/2” thick so its nice and sturdy, I tried one that was ¼” and it flopped all over and was hard to use. If you wheels have hard to reach spots, like mine did around the rivets, I used a small Dremel tool buffer wheel and just put it into my drill.

When I’m done buffing I washed the wheel of with dish soap just to make sure all of the polish came off before I clear coat it. Right now I’m finished with 3 of my wheels so I haven’t done this yet and its winter out side so I’m going to take my wheels to work to do this but this is the paint I’m going to use for the clear coat when I’m all done buffing.

This is what it looked like before I started.

And this is what it looked after, but I still need to clear coat so it not all the way done yet.

Not the best picture but here is another before and after.

Well that is guys, what do you think?

Old 12-14-2010, 10:48 AM
AuSSenseiter is on a distinguished road

The wheels look great! A couple of suggestions though, if your gonna use aircraft stripper, WEAR GLOVES!! Thats some nasty stuff and it will eat your skin. Another (& cheaper) alternative is to use Eagle 1 mag wheel cleaner. Still some nasty shizz and you still gotta wear gloves but, man, it works.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:18 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by AuSSenseiter
The wheels look great! A couple of suggestions though, if your gonna use aircraft stripper, WEAR GLOVES!! Thats some nasty stuff and it will eat your skin. Another (& cheaper) alternative is to use Eagle 1 mag wheel cleaner. Still some nasty shizz and you still gotta wear gloves but, man, it works.
LOL i did use gloves just not for the picture. I almost had to use a gas mask also man that stuff is strong, it took the clear coat right off and didnt hurt the aluminum at all. That Eagle 1 mag wheel cleaner is just a cleaner it wont take off the clear coat and you have to get rid of the clear coat to get to the white rust.

Last edited by BAM1369; 12-14-2010 at 11:27 AM.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:01 PM
AuSSenseiter is on a distinguished road

Have you ever tried it? I have and (being a triple acid base) it works wonders!! Clear coat is no problem and I've heard (but never been inclined to try) that it'll even take powder coating off!!!

Old 12-15-2010, 05:19 PM
502ci is on a distinguished road
Cool

Great job and effort on the wheels.

Hey, I know you from the FGMCC site...

Old 12-16-2010, 08:42 AM
Beginning Member

Yes!!! I have more posts than you on this site lol
I like your Monte just a little better.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:17 AM
Beginning Member

Well guys i had to wait till after christmas but finally put them on and here is how they truned out.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:19 AM
Beginning Member

I really like the wider offset, make for a much more aggressive look.