Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Rim Back Spacing Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 05:58 AM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road
Question Rim Back Spacing Question

Back Spacing.

What is the back spacing of the stock Blazer rims?

I was going to use my spare set of rims for off road tyres but they’re actually 5” back spacing whereas the ones on my truck at the moment are 4” They're the exact same rim.

This means that my track will be 2” narrower.

This also means that I’m not able to use one of these as a spare in the event of a flat. Or can I?

I’ve measured the back spacing from the outside edge of the rim. Is this correct or is it from the inside of the lip that holds the tyre?

Attached Thumbnails Rim Back Spacing Question-p1010001.jpg  
Old 06-25-2009, 08:42 AM
Starting Member
Bigringtravis is on a distinguished road

That is correct - Hub flange to the lip of the rim. Here's a good page for wheel info:

https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html

Good question!

Old 06-25-2009, 03:04 PM
BF Veteran

Says "page cannot be displayed"

Tried again. still cannot get on to the link. SO...

What is the back space on a stock Blazer Alloy rim?

I'm trying to compare it with my spare rims which, as I said, is 5" back spacing. Will they be the same? Effectively?

The reason I'm asking is that with my fender flares, the underside of the fender is wider & if I use my current rim (4" spacing) with a slightly bigger tyre I expect some rubbing & I don't want to do any trimming.

SO..... If I fit the spare rims with 5" back spacing, the wheels effectively move INTO the wheel arch meaning I can fit a bigger tyre without trimming any body work.

Any comments?????

Last edited by kiwiblazer; 06-26-2009 at 03:12 AM.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:58 PM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of

the stock backspacing for 4wd is 6"( i assume it would be the same for the jap/euro models as well) and the the more wheels stick out the more your tire size will decrease unless you want to trim. so your 5"BS wheels will stick out about 1" less then your current rims and since the have more backspacing youll be able to run a bigger tire. 4wd blazers with stock rims and no lift can fit 30's with no issues, but since your blazer has a larger wheel arch you should still be able to fit 30's with rims that have 5"BS if anything you may just have to trim the valance some. hope this helps kiwi i dont have any expierence with the jap/euro blazers.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:25 PM
BF Veteran

Thanks Mike.

Kinda what I figured. The curved ball of course is the wider fender flares on my truck.

So I figure now that when I'm needing new tyres I'll get 30" off road ones & fit them on the spare rims & use these for off roading.