Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Stock 28s with a 2'' lift.

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 10:12 PM
Kai
Kai is on a distinguished road
Question Stock 28s with a 2'' lift.

Do you guys think running my stock 28.88'' tires would look funny with a 2'' suspension lift? I don't think so but I have never seen someone try that before. This is more of an opinion kind of thing. Could you even tell if I did do something like this?

Yes I looked up the tire size I was bored... So I guess 29''

Old 12-24-2010, 10:34 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Kai
Do you guys think running my stock 28.88'' tires would look funny with a 2'' suspension lift? I don't think so but I have never seen someone try that before. This is more of an opinion kind of thing. Could you even tell if I did do something like this?

Yes I looked up the tire size I was bored... So I guess 29''
I don't think it would look funny. However, since the 2" lift can cause alignment issues and add stress to the balljoints and CV axles, I would hold off on doing it unless it's actually necessary.

You could always crank up the front just to get a feel for what it would look like and if you think it's odd, just crank them back down the same number of turns.

Old 12-24-2010, 10:39 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

Opinion? Hmm I have one of those!

No it will not look funny. I base this off the fact that I have a 2" SL (in the form of a free t-bar crank and I think $25 lift shackles) and still have the 235/75r15's on. She looks fine (the engine compartment shows a bit)

Can you tell? not really. If you are parked side by side with a stocker, then yup, it shows and feel nice, but doesnt make a real noticable difference.

P.S. half the trucks on here (grossly exagerated BTW) are running that same set up (or more)

BUT if you are thinking of BUYING a 2" SL then you should just set aside $30 and set the rest on fire since you can get the same thing for that price. Look into t-bar crank and lift shackles search and see

Last edited by mdehoogh; 12-24-2010 at 10:42 PM. Reason: going to fix your broken search link and YOU beat me to it :P
Old 12-24-2010, 10:42 PM
Kai

Ehh I am kind of weary about the whole T-Bar crank and shackles for some reason I just feel like something could go wrong with touching the torsion bars. I hear bad I hear "it wont do anything." I don't know what to believe.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:03 PM
Red 96' will become famous soon enoughRed 96' will become famous soon enough

I was skeptical about doing the t-bar crank when I decided to do mine also, but here, almost two years later, I've had nothing go wrong (knock on wood). As for it looking funny, I have the 2" lift with stock size tires and I think it looks fine. Although, 31's would be the cat's pajamas haha.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:04 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Kai
Ehh I am kind of weary about the whole T-Bar crank and shackles for some reason I just feel like something could go wrong with touching the torsion bars. I hear bad I hear "it wont do anything." I don't know what to believe.
Any 2" lift kit that you buy will use the torsion bars to achieve the lift.

A body lift would keep your truck closest to stock. It doesn't lift the chassis/frame off of the ground but it does give room for larger tires.

Old 12-25-2010, 09:24 AM
Kai

Well I look at it this way I am going to replacing the whole suspension soon anyways so why not lift it the right way in my eyes?

Old 12-26-2010, 01:24 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

What is the right way? I don't understand what you are getting at...
Do you mean using a kit vs. just lifting it, or do you mean not using the T-bar like you mentioned before?
Originally Posted by Kai
Ehh I am kind of weary about the whole T-Bar crank and shackles for some reason
Take a peek at whats involved with a 2" SL using the 2" rough country as my example...

You see the big black "H" shaped guys in the middle on the bottom? Thats are 2" Lift Shackles.
Do you see the black comma looking things? Those are torsion keys for your very own t-bar crank (but with more moving parts!).

Dont take my word for it, check this out CLICKY... those keys are just there to allow you to crank your t-bar FURTHER than you would have wanted to.

You get longer UCA's to allow you to feel like you will eat up your front end slower, and new ball joints so you can have... new ball joints. The UCA's will take some of the load off, but your CV's are still going to be reaching more than they would like and straining as a result, but if you look around you will see that most agree that you can get away with an inch to 1.5" with no real issues, and some say 2" with little to no problems. (dependant on how much your vehicle has settled over time and how much you feel is acceptable in wearing down parts)

That shocks are branded. Normal shocks work just fine with a 2" lift via t bar and shackle, but the ones in the kit will be shiney and new. New shocks can set you back a bit, but only maybe a quarter of what the kit runs +$30 for the shackles (after S and H) and you still have $300+ in your pocket.

Originally Posted by Kai
I just feel like something could go wrong with touching the torsion bars.
Then you should not attempt a 2" SL imo... Something can go wrong with anything you do, from filling up with fuel (you said diesel right?) to changing a spark plug (almost there *snap* MF-er!!!!) While that may be a bit dramatic, I hope you you get my point.

Originally Posted by Kai
I hear bad I hear "it wont do anything." I don't know what to believe.
and
Originally Posted by Kai
...right way in my eyes
At the end of the day, that is what it all comes down to. Do some research, or don't. Go by word of mouth or don't.

If you have the money to do this thing, go nuts and enjoy it by all means. I am only trying to show you a bit more on the suggested option, so you can keep a few bills in your packet and maybe do more things you will enjoy to your vehicle.
It's your money and your truck, I am just hoping to show you other ways to get to where you want to be. Either way, if you bring her up at all, show us some pics

Last edited by ABN31B; 12-26-2010 at 01:27 PM.