Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

tire shopping.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 02:14 PM
Starting Member
don james is on a distinguished road
Question tire shopping.....

I am tire shopping.......235 75 15.........

My tire shop showed me a set of kendal klever a/t's........at $528 out the door.......

I looked at a few reviews and they were all good............I am going to continue my search....but i seem to really like the looks of these tires and the stats on them look really good too........

Has anyone here tried them???

In my research I found that these kenda tires may be a "cooper made tire" at it's Ohio plant...........that makes me like them even more....

correction.........kendra teamed with cooper in 06, [there about].........then they broke negotiations.......kendra is a chinese company making tires in Nam, china, and ?????????......no where near the U.S.............

I don't know if anyone here really cares about that....but just in case............\

Last edited by don james; 02-06-2016 at 06:15 AM. Reason: more info
Old 02-07-2016, 10:52 PM
Starting Member

I'm down to three:

kendal klever.........most rubber.......I like them but they are made in china ....528.00 out the door

trail guide......milestar......made in USA buy cooper [I think, maybe??].......they are a pretty tough tire......I have a set on my siverado....446.00 out the door.......

cooper discoveror at3.......also USA.......587.00........

I wouldn't mind thoughts or opinions......if anyone has a mind to give one ;-)

Old 02-08-2016, 10:48 AM
lazyboyjake is on a distinguished road

I had the discoverer at3 on my blazer before it was totaled and I was beyond pleased with them. With a 2wd I got through mud, snow, ice. Very dependable.

Old 02-08-2016, 01:11 PM
Starting Member

thx for the review Jake......I will do a little more research.......there are a few more that i need to see......

for a little over a 100 bucks the coopers are winning so far for me..........the "made in USA" means a lot to me.....so i am going to try my best to get american made......

I think cooper may make a lot of tires under different names????........I'll look into that.....

Old 02-11-2016, 04:06 PM
Starting Member

It seems that a lot of reviews are giving the cooper discoverer at3 a bad rap for uneven and premature tire wear......but i am getting very leary of these reviews.........

I say this only in confusion......I almost decided on a multi mile wild country...... i bought a set of them for my silverado a few years back, they were pretty good tires......they are stamped made in USA.........now the same name tire is made in china.........

I decided well...........to hell with trying to find a bargain tire, i'm going to go with the new bfg ko ........they really looked nice on video..........when i started reading the reviews, about 40% said the the tire wasn't worth a crap and 60% said that it was the best tire ever made......The extreme reviews are confusing

I did look at a couple of the china tires...one was a codavan trail guide .........i liked the tread design ...........but when i flexed the sidewall there was not much there........and even less on the korean tire next to it......

I'm at the point now that, I think I'll wait for a sale and go with anything that is made by a USA Based company.......I just haven't had to buy tires since this world wide explosion I guess...

Well rant is over.........I hope everyone else has a better time than i am "shopping for tires"

Old 02-11-2016, 05:19 PM
CWBDDSPC is on a distinguished road

https://blazerforum.com/forum/tires-...5-tires-91320/

My tire experiences can be found in that thread. I'm glad Jake had good luck with the at3's... I cannot say I did...

Old 02-11-2016, 06:15 PM
Starting Member

I've bin studying on the cooper at3 lt.........about the only complaints were fast wear.........but two people said that they swapped every oil change and got 50 to 70k out of them????? I have a couple of dealers that sell cooper only a mile apart......if i can get them into a bid war......I'll probably take a chance on the at3's

I'll check the firestone's...........in the meantime...

Old 02-19-2016, 11:34 AM
Starting Member

I went with cooper at3 xl [extra load?]..........there were three at3's to choose from .....the xl was the middle choice.........I think the weight and sidewall is the difference.....and a few bucks....

I'll put some miles on them..........and see what happens......

Last edited by don james; 02-19-2016 at 11:38 AM.