Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Tire and wheel swaps.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 08:00 PM
M&M CUSTOM is on a distinguished road
Default Tire and wheel swaps. Updated with PICS!

I bought my 1996 Jimmy at the end of February, no traction Uniroyal Laredo tires and the factory "web" style wheels and a REAL need for 4 wheel drive.

It wasn't long before I was looking around for and putting the word out that I wanted some new wheels and tires, my search lasted about a week, I had already made
up my mind on tires when the national sale ended on the Federal Couragia MT's taking the regular price up to match the price of what I ended up getting instead.

My cousin had a 95 Blazer up until a few years ago and her husband swapped the tires and wheels for BF Goodrich TA A/T's wrapped around some American Racing Ventura 15X8 inch wheels.

The BFG's were on the Blazer with the T-bars cranked and nothing done to the alignment and the tires were all worn on one side enough to not pass PA's safety inspection, so I still needed to look for tires.

Sometime within the next few days I will receive my second pair of 29X8.50X15 Super Swamper TSL's and mount them on the other 2 AR Ventura's and swap the whole set on the Jimmy.

Since I'm posting this from my phone I'm not sure I can add pics, but will figure it out and get them on here ASAP.

Last edited by M&M CUSTOM; 04-21-2012 at 07:29 PM. Reason: forgot to include tire size.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:55 PM
M&M CUSTOM is on a distinguished road

I dont't make it to my computer every day but here I finally am, and I can finally add a few pics here on my tire adventure.
First tires that came with the Jimmy were 235/75/15 Uniroyal Laredo, then I picked up the A/R Ventura wheels that had some used 235/75/15 BFG All Terrain T/A's.
And FINALLY, the 29x8.50x15 Super Swamper TSL bias ply tires.

Here are the BFG's and Super Swampers side by side.

My adventures with the Super Swampers on the Jimmy started out by me not getting out of my own driveway with the Uniroyal Laredos without 4WD, and almost ended with me getting a set of Federal Couragia MT's until the price went up to over what the Super Swampers cost me.

I figured on the financing and it worked out pretty well, I started shopping with the intentions of getting a pair of the TSL's, which almost a complete days searching netted me the results of a sale from 4WheelParts.com, so I ordered them on their website on a Friday and got them the next Friday.

I saved up enough this past week to get the second pair, but it was on 2 different cards, which their website has no provision to process. This was on Monday evening, I ended up calling a customer service representative and he could enter the purchase with no problems, I asked if he could get order processed within the sale price as it had ended on their website before I called him, he said he would try.

I got the price I wanted, so my second pair cost slightly less (6%) than the first pair, and they should have been on their way soon. They never sent the second email with the UPS tracking numbers, same thing Wednesday morning so I called, no answer, so I called Wednesday evening after hours, no answer and excuses that their "warehouse was very busy".

I still had no email with tracking info on Thursday morning so I called again, then Thursday evening I had to call CS again to FINALLY get a pair of tracking numbers, and the tires ended up never leaving their facility until 11:05pm.

As I was getting about halfway to work on Friday morning the tires were JUST leaving the local UPS hub marked as "out for delivery", but the adventure doesnt end here, I checked every hour online to see if they had been delivered so I could call the local tire shop to have them schedule me for a tire swap, nothing,. . . . , nothing again,. . . . , I clocked out of work and headed home, stopping in at the shop to see if they had an open spot at the end of the day and told them the tires "might" be there but maybe not as I had no idea.

I get home and swap the rear set on the Jimmy to the Swampers, then take my oldest son out to let him experience the NOISE of TSL's, he said it wasn't bad. As we pull into the driveway to do some more small work on the Jimmy, a UPS truck pulls into my driveway and the driver says something to the effect that the regular route driver never got the tires and he couldn't deliver them if he never had them, but this driver had them on his truck so he figured I would be there at the shop to take them from him, and he wanted to see the further progress on the Jimmy anyway.

I had both of my boys take them from the UPS driver and put them in the back of the Jimmy, and we all headed to the tire shop to get them put on, which after $25 and LOTS of comments, we were out the door and howling our way home.

Later that evening we were out wheeling, more than a foot of mud, lots of rocks and tree branches, limbs, and logs, a little chainsaw work, and blowing the chain off the bar while running out of gas, we decided it was getting dark enough for us to head back out of the woods, which we finally did.

I like the sightseers when they hear the tires howling down the road.
I've had the Jimmy exactly 2 months yesterday.

Attached Thumbnails Tire and wheel swaps.-jimmyday1.jpg   Tire and wheel swaps.-jimmyday2.jpg   Tire and wheel swaps.-jimmyarventura.jpg   Tire and wheel swaps.-arventurabfgs.jpg   Tire and wheel swaps.-arventurastsls.jpg  

Tire and wheel swaps.-bfsstslssideby.jpg