Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Want to paint my rims

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 11:18 AM
Starting Member
orb2jr is on a distinguished road
Default Want to paint my rims

I want to black out my rims on my jimmy, a matte black I Think? What is the best way to do it to prevent chips? Thanks

Old 04-12-2015, 01:14 PM
Beginning Member
94psBlazer is on a distinguished road

Ive always used Plastidip for wheels. very cheap (can find matte black at home depot/lowes for like $5), and very easy to apply and get a good finish. Id just suggest using at least 4 coats. There are many videos on youtube that shows you. And you don't even have to remove your wheels if you don't want to. Check it out. Heres a link to the "Dip your Car" website that has instructional vids and a ton of color options https://www.dipyourcar.com/Videos-and-Guides.html
. But like I said, you don't need to go online, they sell it at the stores.
Good luck!

Old 04-12-2015, 10:56 PM
lazyboyjake is on a distinguished road

PlastiDip is the way to go. Personally I would take the wheels off just because you really don't need the particles sprayed onto anything other the rims. I used index cards to keep from getting over spray on my tires and making them look bad. All you do is slide them in between the wheel and tire.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:44 AM
Starting Member
vinhtvu2 is on a distinguished road

I didn't even take my wheels off, just use newspaper and index cards and tape to prevent overspray. The plastidip will peel right off the wheel, so no issue there.

Just make sure the weather is good (70+ degree F) and you spray about 4 coats. I've had it on my car for about a year, and no issue so far. If it's cold, I leave the bottle of plastidip sitting in some warm water, it'll make the spray come out smoother and consistent. Also use one of those plastic sprayer attachment on the bottle, that helps a lot as well.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:10 AM
justinprs is on a distinguished road

Yeah, it's pretty easy. You have to cover the break mechanisms with paint tape. I watched this video for reference. Not a truck but it shows you how to plasti dip without removing your wheels. Overspray on the tires come off if you apply tire shine before spraying. Hope this helps.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:50 AM
truc.karl is on a distinguished road

Plastidip is a good option since it's inexpensive and easy to apply, though won't last for several years.