Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Wheel tracking width differences

Old 01-16-2019, 07:22 PM
Starting Member
nomoresubies is on a distinguished road

But here is some intel on the front to back tracking difference albeit regarding Porsche autos...

What is effect of difference in wheel track width on handling? - Pelican Parts Forums

Old 01-16-2019, 07:29 PM
Starting Member

Another quick and dirty answer...
While cornering and braking weight transfer takes place diagonally that is from rear right to front left or vice versa. Larger front track width decreases this weight transfer.
Rear wheels closer helps in attaining traction. Front tire wider than rear also helps in steering (decreases turning radius.)
And weight transfer is inversely proportional to track width .
P.S This answer is written based on the assumption that the reader knows the basics of vehicle dynamics ,and has idea about castor, camber ,toe and turning radius

Old 01-16-2019, 10:21 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

Both articles answer way better than i could { if you read between the lines in the first article and ignore changing spring rates and such } why when adding spacers they are the same front and back and do not increase the rears to the same width as the front.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:59 AM
Starting Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by odat
Both articles answer way better than i could { if you read between the lines in the first article and ignore changing spring rates and such } why when adding spacers they are the same front and back and do not increase the rears to the same width as the front.
Yep. Finally got to the bottom line. I browsed numerous other 4wd forums and most were aware of the tracking differences but no one could explain why. Makes sense. Now just have to wait for the rain to stop to get under my rig...

Old 01-17-2019, 12:25 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

Rain - I'll trade ya - I live in northern Wyoming 20 deg or less, snow and ice - LOL

Old 01-17-2019, 05:08 PM
N. Jensen is on a distinguished road

A lot of good info, guys.

I've had a set of 1.25'' spacers I've been waiting to put on the rear for awhile. Looks like I might just keep waiting..

Old 01-17-2019, 08:18 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by N. Jensen
A lot of good info, guys.

I've had a set of 1.25'' spacers I've been waiting to put on the rear for awhile. Looks like I might just keep waiting..
Oh man! And I only installed mine because I thought they'd make it more stable. I even asked on the forum explicitly if spacers were of use and not just for show. LOL

Now I have to do even more research. If there is a benefit when off pavement then I'll likely leave them on as long as I'm not really hurting anything. Only being on the rear, I am now hoping the only issue is the ease of steering and not excessive increased wear and tear on suspension components.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:23 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by christine_208
Oh man! And I only installed mine because I thought they'd make it more stable. I even asked on the forum explicitly if spacers were of use and not just for show. LOL

Now I have to do even more research. If there is a benefit when off pavement then I'll likely leave them on as long as I'm not really hurting anything. Only being on the rear, I am now hoping the only issue is the ease of steering and not excessive increased wear and tear on suspension components.
I think the biggest concern and reason for the difference is the chance of over-steer. Whereas you go into a turn and it steers harder than you expect and there is the potential for loss of control and, at the worst case, roll-over. I would think it be mainly on pavement and due to the narrow track width and high center of gravity. I had this happen to me in a tall 4wd 20,000 gvw truck. Almost lost it, everything went flying off the dash and scared the crap outta me. Wound up in the other lane but held on to it. And I was only doing about 45.

Still raining here so have not gotten under mine yet to see the source of the problem.

Old 01-19-2019, 11:54 AM
Starting Member

OK so I finally looked at the wheels. well I guess I was deaf because they were rubbing on both sides. One side on the brake wire. (Maybe why I did not hear it.) They are indeed rubbing on the inside edge of the rim lip on the front of the upper A arms when turning. Ordered spacers and will go from there. Looked into 16" rims but hard time finding something to fit without adapters...

Old 01-19-2019, 04:36 PM
N. Jensen is on a distinguished road

The ZQ8 and Xtreme wheels are stock 16" with the proper backspacing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wheel tracking width differences