TrailBlazer GMT360/GMT370 (2002-2009) Tech Have a 2002-2009 Trailblazer, Envoy, Bravada or Rainier? Post your general tech questions here.

Stabilitrak

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 05:04 AM
Starting Member
Beckyj636 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Stabilitrak

This is a 2008 Trailblazer, just about 72000.. New for me.

I bought it Saturday, Sunday morning I got out of work hopped in truck started it drove out of the parking lot and both Stabilitrak lights went on and stayed on till i turned off the truck.

Now being this just purchased I went back to the dealership explained what happened , they said its normal.....

I don't agree, so I set up a appt. for them to look at it..

Now again I left work this morning 4am it was 17 degrees, I just left the parking lot and Both lights on again.... This time I continued to drive it for 3 more miles to see if it would turn off, It did not.

I went home turned off the truck, then stared it back up to see if the light would come back on OR simple stay on, Like thew check engine light does. But is was out.

Any ideas why this could be going on? Is this normal?

I do not want the dealership to B.S. me on this..

Also does this truck Automatically go into overdrive.

Thanks for you help.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:29 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

The light should come on if there is some wheel slip (icy road, etc.) but I'm pretty sure it should go back off after a few seconds. If it's staying on it would suggest a problem with the stabilitrak or traction control system to me. If it's under warranty definitely have their mechanic look it over.

The truck will automatically shift into overdrive when cruising speeds are reached, and only partial throttle. It will shift out of overdrive if you are accelerating on the highway.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:17 AM
Starting Member

Well I bought it Saturday, so only had it going on 2 1/2 days. Not sure what the law states for for this yet. But I hope they have to do something.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:19 PM
Twip will become famous soon enough

something is wrong. take it back and tell them that lights turn on every time you drive it, even if thats not the complete truth. tell them every time the lights turn on you dont feel safe driving it. and if something were to happen while you driving it because the traction control wasnt working, you would hate to have to go after the dealership since they didnt feel like working on it or fixing the problem that was under warranty.

those lights should only come one for a second or two like EB said. they should go back off when the program and computer isnt doing anything. the lights are staying on because there is a sensor or something that isnt working properly. just my .02

Old 03-21-2013, 04:31 AM
Starting Member

Ok, so I took it back to the dealership. Wednesday. They said nothing wrong, all is normal.

BUT I start the truck drive on dry pavement and both Stabilitrak lights come on and still on till I turn off the truck. This is frustrating Any one ever hear of a warranty called "Forever Warranty" ?

Last edited by Beckyj636; 03-21-2013 at 04:56 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:59 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Is this a GM or Chevy dealer or a 3rd party dealer? Do you have a warranty on the truck? I would suggest considering getting a 2nd opinion from a different mechanic shop that you trust. You could also get your truck scanned for trouble codes. Most Autozone stores will do it for free. Ideally do it while the lights are on.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:22 PM
Starting Member

It Lake land Auto In Sheboygan Wi.. I would say 3rd party dealership . There small I guess.

OK, So I took it back , now they said Steering wheel position censor. They gave me the code for it.

He said because its intermittent, its NOT dangerous so I can ignore it for now as it comes on when it is cold. I only need to really be concerned it if comes of and stays on. Then I need to take it to the Chevy dealership, as they don't have the equipment to change and reprogram the system.

Does anyone know what the Chevy dealership will charge for this repair?

I kinda think it haunted, The rear speakers did not work when FADE was set to Rear Speakers. NOW the Left Rear Speaker works but not the right (at least at the moment).

Last edited by Beckyj636; 03-21-2013 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Added responce to El_Beautor
Old 11-29-2020, 10:50 PM
mptc58 is on a distinguished road

This exact same thing happened to me a few years ago. I took it back and they replaced the steering wheel position sensor. It stayed off for quite a while. Then it went back on. I noticed it more in the cold winter weather.
I don't know what the life of a steering wheel position sensor is or if this is a problem for this mode. (mine is a 2007 Trailblazer, Inline 6). I had a code reader and it indicated a malfunction of the YAW rate sensor.
So I replaced it (a fairly easy job but an expensive part). The light is on again. I suspect perhaps a wiring problem. We have rodent problems where I live. I have had rabbits seek a warm place in my old Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera and chew on the wires to the auto shift module. Anyway...could if be bad wiring or brittle wiring that runs from the YAW rate sensor to the wheels that has shorted out? Any help would be greatly appreciated.