1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

4x4 unit acting wierd?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 08:45 AM
Beginning Member
AEChevy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 4x4 unit acting wierd?!

I just bought a chevy blazer yesterday. I dont know how to engage the 4x4 unit. Its an 89 and has a **** under the dash to engage 4x4.Its an auto tranny.

I had a 2000 S10 LS a few years ago and it had push button. In order engage 4x4 on that truck I had to be in a complete stop. So I kept the 89 at a complete stop and engaged 4WD and it went into gear ok. But when i tried to get it back into 2WD it made grindng noises. So i shut it down completely and shifted the **** back into 2WD. It was fine for a while, but then it seemed to slide into 4LOW. Both the 2WD and the 4LO lights are red on the shifter dash. Theres also a light diagram, the 2WD axle diagram was lit up earlier, but the light seems to flicker now. I get a low grinding noise when im in drive like its in 4LO.

Anyone got any ideas, it would be a great help. Thanks!

Nina

My truck is a Chevy Blazer Tahoe, 1989 with a 4.3 v6

Old 01-12-2009, 07:56 PM
Barc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 4x4 unit acting wierd?!

Sounds like mine has a similar Issue. I put it into 4 HI, while moving, and I thought that the T-case was gonna drop out from under the truck. Then it was stuck in 4 wd. Would go great between hi and lo; but not out of 4wd. What was strange is that about 1/10 times that i pushed the 4 hi button to get it out of 4wd, it would drop into 4 lo. I reset the TCCM and the lights seem to work well now. I don't know how yours is; but, I took out the TCCM fuse (5A near the bottom left of the fusebox,) waited 10 minutes, replaced the fuse, and cycled the ignition (without starting the truck) 5 times. I heard that all you had to do was take it out and then start the truck before replacing the fuse; but, that didn't work for me. Hopefully this helps.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:16 AM
Beginning Member
AEChevy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your reply!!

But how do you cycle the ignition?

Old 01-14-2009, 10:20 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Simply turn the key to the RUN position and back to the OFF position 5 times.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:29 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

From your other thread:
ORIGINAL: AEChevy

My truck is a 4x4 1989 Chevy s10 4.3 6 cylinder. It has a fuel injected carb? (I have no idea what that means, but my brother told me that)

Ok i figured out that the engine does have a vaccum leak where the carb connects to the engine block...Im getting a new gasket for that this week.

Now i find that the truck does not like to go into 4x4 mod on any of the speeds.

Its got a **** under the dash for switching into 4x4, no locking hubs.

Theres a diagram next to the **** that shoes the back axle in orange and when I go into 4x4 the front axle lights up orange. I assume that the back axle is always engaged in drive, making it a rear wheel drive vehicle when in 2wheel drive.

However, when i try to get it to go into 4hi, it will light up just fine, but going back to 2wheel, the front passenger wheel makes a whirring noise likes its in 4lo or something. So I have to put it back into 4hiwhile in neutral (of course) thenshift it back in to 2wd. Sometimesthe light on the diagram lights up, sometimes it flickers and goes out, when that happens I get the wirring noise.

Trying to engage into 4 low works only if I shut off the engine shift it into 4lo then restart.

My brother says it might have to do with the vaccum leak in the carb thats causeing the engine to idle too high making it so the gears dont mesh. But Id like to know what that wirring noise is when its in 2 wheel drive.
What you describe as a noise near the front passenger side is likely the front axle engagement coupler hitting the splined shaft in the front diff, not properly engaging. This could be due to a vacuum leak in the supply line from the transfer case vacuum switch to the front axle actuator, a problem with the actuator itself, or a stuck cable which runs from the actuator down to the passenger side axle tube.

As far as engaging 4LO is concerned, you only need to be in park or neutral to do so. If you cannot get it to engage properly when in park, then you should try neutral with a very slow ground speed which will aid the meshing of the gears.