1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Starter solenoid shorting out

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 06:15 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

600 bucks hmmm I need too raise my rates, if it hit my shop worse case would be about 150 and the cost of the starter - IMO swap out the whole works [ bushings, brushes, solenoid or who knows what is wrong with the old starter ] If you have any ability at all you could do it yourself, unhook neg cable then two wires and two bolts, however depending on how much the motor mounts have sagged you might have to pull the center motor mount bolt on that side and use a block of wood and a jack under the oil pan to raise the engine a little on that side to gain clearance to slide the starter out - some rebuilt starters come with shims if so usually you have to use them and reverse order on how you took it out too reinstall

Old 01-19-2016, 10:38 AM
Beginning Member
jnewtonav is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by odat
600 bucks hmmm I need too raise my rates, if it hit my shop worse case would be about 150 and the cost of the starter - IMO swap out the whole works [ bushings, brushes, solenoid or who knows what is wrong with the old starter ] If you have any ability at all you could do it yourself, unhook neg cable then two wires and two bolts, however depending on how much the motor mounts have sagged you might have to pull the center motor mount bolt on that side and use a block of wood and a jack under the oil pan to raise the engine a little on that side to gain clearance to slide the starter out - some rebuilt starters come with shims if so usually you have to use them and reverse order on how you took it out too reinstall
Thanks. That quote was from a different shop than my mechanics, so I don't know what he'll end up charging me. I told him I needed the starter bench tested but he still thinks it's fine and the Viper system is the issue... I just don't believe that's the case anymore, especially since it occasionally tries to turn over and won't (until I hit it the solenoid with something).

Old 02-10-2016, 09:02 PM
Beginning Member
jnewtonav is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by jnewtonav
Thanks. That quote was from a different shop than my mechanics, so I don't know what he'll end up charging me. I told him I needed the starter bench tested but he still thinks it's fine and the Viper system is the issue... I just don't believe that's the case anymore, especially since it occasionally tries to turn over and won't (until I hit it the solenoid with something).
Final update. Apparently the same mechanic didn't want to work on the vehicle anymore. I called my AAA car care center that I've used before with my previous car and told them I needed a starter. Took it to them Saturday afternoon and they had it installed by Monday morning. It's been starting and running great since then. Total bill came to $389 including oil change and tire rotation. I still believe the after-market remote start eventually killed the original starter.