2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

99 Blazer Turns Over But Does Not Start (any ideas?)

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 11:18 PM
CbBlazer22 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation 99 Blazer Turns Over But Does Not Start (any ideas?)

I have a 99 Blazer 4 door 4wd and I replaced the blower motor a few days

ago, my blower stopped working again and so I checked the blower resistor.

The blower resistor was bad so I replaced that and now it blows air but it will

not start, I do not hear the fuel pump when I turn the key on.

any ideas?

Old 12-18-2013, 05:22 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Check the basic stuff first: fuses, both places, battery terminals and connections.

Do you have a voltmeter? If so, you can check the fuel pump test terminal for voltage with the key on; report your findings and then we can go from there.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:05 PM
CbBlazer22 is on a distinguished road

I checked the fuses and switched the fuel pump relay with the fog light relay and still does not want to start, could it possibly be the fuel pump?

Old 12-18-2013, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Do a pressure and leak down test and that will be the quickest way to rule out or confirm the pump.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:26 PM
sh8veds10 is on a distinguished road

if not the fuel pump, try the distributor or rotor...

Old 12-31-2013, 09:21 AM
Starting Member
01xtreme_chevy is on a distinguished road

If it is turning over like it should then your either getting no fuel or no spark. To check the spark plug simply pull it out and set the tip or threads on something metal and have someone turn it over, if it sparks you obviously got fire. To check the fuel pump turn the ignition on (don't crank) and you should hear a whinning sound coming fuel tank. If you don't then take some gas in a small cup and pour down your throttle body and try to crank it...if it cranks=bad fuel pump.
When's the last time you changed the fuel filter?

Old 02-20-2014, 10:46 AM
Beginning Member
Wild_Thing XI is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem, it cranks but doesnt start, it happened a few times in the past several months but usually started and acted normal the next day for weeks/months. Now it wont start at all, I thought it was the ICM, I swapped it out from my moms blazer, hers started with my ICM in it, and mine still doesnt start. I'm guessing its the coil, rotor, or the distributor itself. The fuel pump and filter was replaced last year when my Dad owned it. Any ideas? I have a new cap, rotor, wires, and plugs for it but I dont want to do all that work and still not have it run (or start for that matter). Oh and a month or two ago I replaced just the cap thinking that was the problem, it worked for a few weeks as said before but it still has that problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

Old 02-20-2014, 07:33 PM
vegie_2 is on a distinguished road

Put a AC Delco cap and rotor on it. I had intermittent crank no start replaced fuel pressure regulator still had same problem, replaced fuel pump same problem, replaced spider with Delphi MFI same problem but it did run much better when it did start but I took off old NON AC Delco cap it had lots of corrosion but was only on there 2 years. Ive read on here about using only AC Delco and also the techs I know say that has fixed more intermittent no starts and swear by them just like Capt Hook and Swarrt. By the way these loan a tool fuel pressure testers at parts stores are pure crap they leak down or show the wrong readings so don't depend on them!!!

Old 02-20-2014, 09:16 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Wild_Thing XI
I have the same problem, it cranks but doesnt start, it happened a few times in the past several months but usually started and acted normal the next day for weeks/months. Now it wont start at all, I thought it was the ICM, I swapped it out from my moms blazer, hers started with my ICM in it, and mine still doesnt start. I'm guessing its the coil, rotor, or the distributor itself. The fuel pump and filter was replaced last year when my Dad owned it. Any ideas? I have a new cap, rotor, wires, and plugs for it but I dont want to do all that work and still not have it run (or start for that matter). Oh and a month or two ago I replaced just the cap thinking that was the problem, it worked for a few weeks as said before but it still has that problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!
Just because the fuel pump was replaced does not mean it isn't the problem. You should start with a fuel leakdown test to rule out the fuel pump. What brand fuel pump did you put in? If you look around the forum you will see that many times the problem was a fuel pump that had been replaced with an off brand. It seems to happen over and over. You have to use either Delco or Delphi fuel pumps. But still, do the leakdown test first.

Old 03-04-2014, 02:05 AM
Beginning Member
Wild_Thing XI is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by rockp2
Just because the fuel pump was replaced does not mean it isn't the problem. You should start with a fuel leakdown test to rule out the fuel pump. What brand fuel pump did you put in? If you look around the forum you will see that many times the problem was a fuel pump that had been replaced with an off brand. It seems to happen over and over. You have to use either Delco or Delphi fuel pumps. But still, do the leakdown test first.
Thanks, I know its not a Delco, my father goes for the cheapest price, even tho I tell him all the time when it comes to vehicles, you should always buy what they need and not off brand things. I will do that leakdown test when it warms up a little. Its been around zero with 15 to 20 below windchills the last couple weeks.