2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

I want to love my 1998 Blaze, I really do.... SIGH. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 08:22 PM
Starting Member
VegasBlazerChick is on a distinguished road
Default I want to love my 1998 Blaze, I really do.... SIGH. HELP!

This is how I feel right now. I just got this blazer 2 1/2 weeks ago. I loved it right away. It's comfy, and feels safe to be in. But man, does it have QUIRKS!

1. It is hemmoraging gas.
It has had all new plugs put in, and new wires. Auto zone says fuel pressure is fine. Fuel filter is new. Oil and oil filter are new. I'm at a loss.

2. My passenger front door won't open unless you talk dirty to it.
I literally have to try 4-5 quick times in a row with the inside handle to get it to open. It opens from the outside without an issue.

3. It RATTLES!
OMG, the rattling is driving me nuts. The previous owner (read: scammer) took off the running boards to make it look better since they were so banged up, and I think maybe thats why? Thoughts?

4. It coughs and sputters on hills.
I think the firing order might be incorrect for the new plugs/wires and we are checking that tonight. Any other ideas?

I am working on NO $$$ now. I have been scammed on 2 cars now and as a result of all the money I have lost, my new Blazer is a $5700 gamble. That's what I have spent on 2 cars and repairs in the last 5 weeks!

Also, the previous owner put HUGE 15's on this truck and they rub so so bad. Thoughts?

Anyone in Vegas and willing to come look at it? Im a girl who doesnt know ANYTHING about this vehicle, and I am really really sick of getting ripped off. You can see Crybaby in my garage in my profile....

Last edited by VegasBlazerChick; 04-30-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:09 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

1. What kind of mileage are we talking here? These blazers don't get the greatest to begin with. I get about 18, some on here less than that. I think my in-town is around 15!

2. Maybe something inside bent? Take the door panel off and have a look!

3. Turn up the radio louder? LOL that's what I do. These trucks are pretty rattly. Check the latch for the back glass. It's a common rattle. You can put some electrical tape around the u shaped latch part, and it will help, somewhat.

4. I would have guess fuel filter, but that has been replaced. Any check engine lights, or just a lack of power?

Old 05-01-2013, 02:39 AM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough

Lucky for you, VegasBlazerChick, you're now in a community of (mostly) smart people who like to help others. With some guidance from Forum members you should be able to get some answers about what's going on with your truck.

I've had some challenges with my various Blazers and Jimmys and the folks here always come through and help me out.

Get some hard numbers on fuel mileage and post them here. We might be able to help you track down what's going on.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:30 AM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

Just last night my wife said "if you dont start riding your motorcycle more ,your going to have to get a part time job just to pay for gas "

When I bought the Blazer it was supposed to be a tow rig /wifes daily driver
She has decided that perhaps she needs to get more comfortable with driving it because she only works about 6 blocks from home

I also had crazy rattling , pulled the aftermarket stereo back out
Reinstalled it properly and everything is much quieter

I love mine because its like a little bulldozer
Would love it more if it wasnt so thirsty

Old 05-01-2013, 06:59 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

As was stated above, if you were expecting to get high mpg with this vehicle....just not going to happen. Of course mileage will improve once the sputtering problem is fixed.

Very easy to get the plug wires out of order on the distributor cap; take a real good look at the numbers on the cap.

Passenger door will need to have the door panel removed.....be sure to have the tool for this...available at Autozone.....as it is very easy to break the door panel around the push-in fastner next to the upper hinge. The tool looks like a screwdriver that has a wide end with a slot in it for going around the push-in fastners and popping them out of the metal door.

Even though Autozone says fuel pressure is good....need the numbers. Do a search and you will find the procedure for testing the fuel system. Needs to reach a certain pressure and then hold it.

The tires do not look all that big in the pictures....what size are they?

Good luck....and keep using the forum.

Last edited by LannyL81; 05-01-2013 at 07:03 AM.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:25 AM
AndrewO1991 is on a distinguished road

Poor mileage, sputtering. Check ignition components, AcDelco plugs only in these trucks. Make sure cap and rotor are in good shape. Like said before, we would need fuel pressure numbers, and a leakdown test. It doesnt take any car knowledge at all to be hired at Autozone. There is a small chance you find someone there who actually knows what they are talking about.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:40 AM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road

AC Delco are the OEM parts and made by GM specifically for this engine. That is important for spark plugs, but also s/p wires, PCV , O2 sensors, fuel filters, and air filters. You don't have to buy them at a GM dealer. To save money, you can get them on the net at many places at a discount. Rock Auto. Or places like Auto zone and Advance auto also carry AC Delco.
Just because this is a V6 engine and in a small SUV, doesn't mean it will get great gas mileage. I just got 17.2 mpg in combination city/hwy driving and was happy. Oh, yes, extra large tires will affect the gas mileage, the ride, the braking, and so on.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:47 AM
WitchingHour is an unknown quantity at this point

Your door problem is a matter of a jacked up rod. Someone's been beating the hell out of that door. The tool you'll need is called a trim puller, plus you'll need a 1/4 drive ratchet and socket (can't remember the socket size offhand), and a slotted screwdriver would be handy, also.
The rest has pretty much been covered.